Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a job in Florida, yes Florida and I work in Maine?? Anyway, I've never painted Stucco before and to boot, I won't be able to take my sprayer with me for obvious reasons. So my question is, what would be a good paint to use in the hot Florida climate? And can I get away with just using a brush and roller? :blink: By the way, this job is for family and thats why I'm making the trip to Florida!!

Thanks

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
I've painted a few down there and rolled all of them. Get at least an 1 1/4 nap. A lot of guys down there are using Elastomeric. I put SW Super Paint on the ones I did.

·
Midwest painter
312 Posts
I have a job in Florida, yes Florida and I work in Maine?? Anyway, I've never painted Stucco before and to boot, I won't be able to take my sprayer with me for obvious reasons. So my question is, what would be a good paint to use in the hot Florida climate? And can I get away with just using a brush and roller? :blink: By the way, this job is for family and thats why I'm making the trip to Florida!!

Thanks
I painted a lot of stucco here where I'm at. I agree with wood land on the super paint. I've always sprayed and back rolled

·
RePaintFlorida.com
1,766 Posts
We paint hundreds of stucco homes each year in Central Florida
Our system is:
1) pressure wash
2) repair stucco cracks with a brush grade elastomeric patch, recaulk all windows, door, elect box and any where needed. Seal all stucco with SW Loxon conditioner, apply 2 coats of SW superpaint satin, that is the basic for stucco and yes we cut & roll 90% of them, but if we're painting the sofit we spray that part

We also started using BM

So what part of Florida

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
When I lived in Arizona thats all there is for siding including my own.It is a daunting task to brush and roll a large area of stucco esp. if it new cementious stucco.It is easier if it has been painted before.Definately get a sprayer.It's easier if you thin the paint a bit more than you normally would because it's hard to get coverage on such a rough surface.You will want to do two coats even if it's the same color. You can figure on 125-175 s.f. per gal. depending on the style of finish.A sand finish or smooth will not take as much as a lace or skip trowel finish.You will definetly need a 1and 1/4" skin and back roll the first coat.If you use an elastomeric paint take the filters out of the pump.

·
still in the bucket
1,383 Posts
I have brushed/rolled stucco forever.Most all of the stucco homes in my area are lower level stucco and second story(if there is one)siding.It soaks paint like a sponge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, a lot of great information!! The job is in Fort Myers. I will think about renting a sprayer or maybe just roll it and spend more time in Florida!!!! Lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
If it really rough stucco finish even with a 1 1/4 " cover you still get a gazzlion of those little spots around the edges of the texture. The last one I did I used the power roller attachment with my Graco airless and a 1 1/4" cover and was pleasantly surprised.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts