Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited a homeowner to view and quote an interior repaint today and on the perimeter walls I noticed verticle stud shadowing on every wall, 6 years old house, looks as thought the homebuilder used a builders flat.
Tested for mildew and showed negative, house is clad in vinyl exterior.
Generally use a zinsser primer tinted and a Ben Moore top product for this type of repaint.
Should I or the homeowner be concerned with the shadowing showing through the existing topcoat?
I hardly see this when viewing houses for a repaint, and I don't know a lot about homebuilding, but my thoughts lean in the direction of either cheap paint or an insulation problem.
Any help or advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Charlie

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sounds like a simple case of dirty air, I see it sometimes on remolds or apartments where the people smoked alot, just prime and finish, should be fine.

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
If it was oil forced hot air heat, it could've been a small blow back
If it is, that stuff is tenacious and loves to leach through paint
Try and clean some off...see what happens

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
If it is blow back you're seeing, I've dealt with this a bunch. I usually tsp it, then problock it.

·
Super Moderator
9,507 Posts
Often it shows an area of poor insulation and the dirt in the air sticks to the cold spots on the wall. I have had jobs where the studs and all the nailholes on exterior walls only where shadowed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts