Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
My SW rep recommended shellac under Kem Aqua when I asked about it for a repaint type situation.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Although many reps will tell you you can use shellac under Kem Aqua, they will leave you hanging if you have a problem. Sherwin-Williams corporate stance is it has never been tested so they don't back it up. I have used shellac under it plenty of times and it looks great when done. Myself and another contractor I know have both had minor issues with it. When they shipped the sample piece out for testing, they said "you primed with shellac, which is not part of our approved system. You are on your own." The rep gave me some free product anyways, but I stopped using it altogether. We switched to the regular Kem Aqua primer, but still had an issue here and there. Most of it was minor, but I hate call backs. We used it for about a year to a year and a half. I want to say we had 4-6 callbacks in that time. I've been mainly doing cabinets for over 10 years now. I haven't had 6 callbacks in 10 years, but did when we were using Kem Aqua.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts