Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Holland,

I think they came out really nice.

If you don’t mind me asking what grits did you sand with? Also what kind of primer and paint?

I like painting cabinets so these threads really interest me.

John


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


-bleach/ water to get rid of the mildew, cleaned with Krud Kutter, rinsed thoroughly with clean water.

-USC Icing for big dents and dings.

-sanded with 180.

-2 coats SmartPrime - *everything back brushed to match existing woodwork.

-sanded back with 180/220

-2 coats BM Advance

(Doors were done over the winter, and stored on drying racks. Boxes painted and install in May.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great improvement. How did you manage the alligatoring paint issue?
Sanding was a big part of the prep: trying to get to a stable substrate, and smooth out the surface (and Sanding between coats eventually eliminated the alligator texture). Also, switching to a more flexible ‘waterborne’ paint and primer.

Everything in the house was originally done in an oil enamel. I hated to move away from it for historical reasons, but the house is uninsulated, and I feel that it was at the the root of the alligatoring problem (oil becoming more brittle as it ages). I feel like the oil enamel was also contributing to the mildew issue.

We used a waterborne primer, and a waterborne-alkyd hybrid paint, which felt similar to the oil enamel in other parts of the house, and will hopefully be able to handle the extreme temps and expansion/contraction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Sanding was a big part of the prep: trying to get to a stable substrate, and smooth out the surface (and Sanding between coats eventually eliminated the alligator texture). Also, switching to a more flexible ‘waterborne’ paint and primer.

Everything in the house was originally done in an oil enamel. I hated to move away from it for historical reasons, but the house is uninsulated, and I feel that it was at the the root of the alligatoring problem (oil becoming more brittle as it ages). I feel like the oil enamel was also contributing to the mildew issue.

We used a waterborne primer, and a waterborne-alkyd hybrid paint, which felt similar to the oil enamel in other parts of the house, and will hopefully be able to handle the extreme temps and expansion/contraction.
I'm surprised you found Bullseye sanded well enough and had enough body to bridge over alligatoring that is that extreme looking.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm surprised you found Bullseye sanded well enough and had enough body to bridge over alligatoring that is that extreme looking.
I usually take a lot of pics of each job, but didn’t take that many this time.

the doors and cabinets were done mid-winter sometime, and the boxes were done in late spring.

Wood Rectangle Material property Hardwood Font

Stairs Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor

Rectangle Wood Carton Packing materials Hardwood

Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring Automotive exterior
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top