Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client that is interested in finishing a new PT deck with a "Rust-Oleum restore" type product. Looking for a maintenance free, slip resistance alternative to staining. I've read horrible reviews on Rust-Oleums product. Superdeck makes their deck and dock coating, and Armorpoxy makes a similar product. Anyone have any luck or opinion on these or any other similar products? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use it on my wooden staging planks for better traction.It has been on a year outside and so far o good.I used the planks for a few months and not 1 chip,scratch, or flake came off.I would be weary of trying it on a customers deck.Hopefully i will try it on a small deck for rental property just incase it fails it won't take too much effort to remove it.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Imagine the worst nightmare you have had. Add Satan, Michael Myers, both your legs chopped off and Rosie O'Donnel and that would be sunshine compared to trying to remove one of these deck over products. There is no such thing as maintenance free. The pursuit of it has been the driving force of many scams and class action lawsuits. Over water.. 100% chance of failure. I don't know anything about the Superdeck product but if you see the word "silica" anywhere in the MSDS or product brochure.. run.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I used the Superdeck Deck & Dock on an older PT deck last summer. I liked the way it went on, and it looked pretty good. It's an elastomeric, it has that thick rubbery look and feel.
You have to add the anti skid yourself, walnut shells or something, didn't use it.

It was the most expensive of all the products of that type that I looked at.

The Olympic version is on one of my decks. It's a tougher looking film to me. Harder than the SD.
Both are holding up well.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I was at a SW pro show and the dealer there swore it won't peel because the coating was very permeable. I suppose I could see its merits on a deck that needed replacing and allowing more years of use.

They are using a lot of it around the coastal areas, and he told me he could put me in touch with contractors using it and see how its holding up in person on some large jobs.

I have his card and plan on calling him next week for a job I have on a flip. Keeping in mind its a temporary fix for really bad decking boards and will have to be addressed down the road it makes sense.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I believe the Superdeck Deck & Dock has better coverage per gallon than Restore or Deckover, so it might not really be as expensive as it first appears. I believe spread rate is 100 square ft per gallon on Deck & Dock, more like 50 on Deckover. I've gotten really good feedback from some contractors I trust on this stuff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
which product on the planks, the superdeck?
I used the Rustoleum Restore.It is kinda tough to work with.It goes on kinda thick.Go by the directions and try to roll it in one direction and try not to work it too much.Rolling it leaves a rough and heavy coating like for better traction.I could see it being harsh on bare feet.If you can get it to lay down even then a brush would be best on a deck to lessen the amount of roughness.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Heres a few pictures of my plankes.One side Restore and the other side Sikkens.I will try to take close up pictures tomorrow and also try to scratch or scrape them to test their durability after 1 year outside in The N.E. weather.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using PaintTalk.com mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the "coating" products. Would it be beneficial to put a sealer on the deck before putting on the coating? I was thinking of trying the Behr Deckover first. I haven't heard anything good past 6months on the SW elastmatic product, SuperDeck.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
I use it on my wooden staging planks for better traction.It has been on a year outside and so far o good.I used the planks for a few months and not 1 chip,scratch, or flake came off.I would be weary of trying it on a customers deck.Hopefully i will try it on a small deck for rental property just incase it fails it won't take too much effort to remove it.
I hate to bring this up, but you're not supposed to paint scaffold planks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.