Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My client wants her new 16 ft. wheelchair ramp painted (not stained) to match her current house trim. I'm thinking to use the HD paint with slip additive. Do I have to put primer on the wood before painting it? (Please, say "no"!) The ramp is about 6 months old, so the wood is dry and in good shape. I don't have a paint sprayer, so it's going to be a pretty big job. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hi Lynn, I would seriously try to talk her out of Paint. Paint does not hold up. Nor does stain. Nothing does...But stains require far less prep work with each iteration of prep/re-do. And no primer. (They also tend to just wear away more than flake away - generally less ugly and problematic when it all inevitably goes south).

This doesn't mean that it can't match the trim. You just use a solid stain tinted to the color of the trim. Just bring the paint store a color code. It just won't have any gloss to it. But you don't want any gloss on walking surface anyway!

If "HD" means Home Depot, then just don't. I generally just go with Arborcoat from BM (because for lots of reasons I just prefer to get stuff from my local BM store or Ace Hardware). But others will give other suggestions.

Don't rely on age to judge moisture. Use a moisture meter. Ideally it's at 12% or less. 15% max. (But look at the TDS for whatever product you get). Pay special attention to the shady areas, and moreso if the climate includes plenty of dampness - like high humidity and rain.

It should get cleaned once or 2x per year (depending on conditions) no matter what, and if it does then traction shouldn't be a problem on treated lumber with solid stain.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
My client wants her new 16 ft. wheelchair ramp painted (not stained) to match her current house trim. I'm thinking to use the HD paint with slip additive. Do I have to put primer on the wood before painting it? (Please, say "no"!) The ramp is about 6 months old, so the wood is dry and in good shape. I don't have a paint sprayer, so it's going to be a pretty big job. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!
yes needs to be primed. if they instist on paint i would prime with epoxy sealer like CPES then paint with inslx sure step

1 - 4 of 4 Posts