Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Property Manager
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a Surfprep triangle foam sanding pad on a Festool DTS400 or likewise a rectangle pad on a RTS400?
Does it stick to the Festool backing and the holes line up relatively close?

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,466 Posts
If your talking about the soft backing pad?, it should just stick on with Velcro. Whether the holes line up is to be debated.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Has anyone used a Surfprep triangle foam sanding pad on a Festool DTS400 or likewise a rectangle pad on a RTS400?
Does it stick to the Festool backing and the holes line up relatively close?
Why would you want to?

Festool Paper size:
RTS - 80x133mm
DTS - 100x150mm

Surprep:
Rectangle - 80x133
Delta Shape - 80x133

FWIW - RTS look like the same size. Delta is a different size.

Rectangle Sleeve Font Tree Pattern

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Electric blue

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
If I'm thinking about the same thing, it's an "under pad" that attaches to the "main pad" so to speak and it was around $15-$20...yes?

If so, i had a no problem experience and it helped a lot...like I would always have them from now on. The project revolved around hours of sanding. I started the project without that pad and after maybe an hour or two, the sandpaper would start moving/sliding while sanding and sometimes flew off.

After getting the pad, the paper remained stationery.

That project was an exterior, meaning line-up of the holes wasn't as important though I haven't removed them and haven't noticed any "less than" experience with interior sanding (people's homes/non-shop).

Sanders I bought pads for: RTS400 and ETS 125

·
Registered
Property Manager
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'm thinking about the same thing, it's an "under pad" that attaches to the "main pad" so to speak and it was around $15-$20...yes?

If so, i had a no problem experience and it helped a lot...like I would always have them from now on. The project revolved around hours of sanding. I started the project without that pad and after maybe an hour or two, the sandpaper would start moving/sliding while sanding and sometimes flew off.

After getting the pad, the paper remained stationery.

That project was an exterior, meaning line-up of the holes wasn't as important though I haven't removed them and haven't noticed any "less than" experience with interior sanding (people's homes/non-shop).

Sanders I bought pads for: RTS400 and ETS 125
yes, it would attach to the main pad. Were you using the surfprep rectangle pads or something similar. I have a lot of interior sanding to do on a project next week and this could be helpful. Even though you were sanding outside did the holes line up somewhat close?

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
The Surfprep pads have sandpaper already on them. Not the same way Festool does it. I have used the rectangular ones and they work fine on my Festool. But, pay attention to the grit suggestions on Surfprep’s site. Grits ratings must be a on different scape compared to Festool.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
yes, it would attach to the main pad. Were you using the surfprep rectangle pads or something similar. I have a lot of interior sanding to do on a project next week and this could be helpful. Even though you were sanding outside did the holes line up somewhat close?
I know see you're talking about using a separate company's product on your Festool sander(s) as DeanV stated. I haven't used SurfPrep.
I'm interested in what you find out and hope you post about it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
The Surfprep pads have sandpaper already on them. Not the same way Festool does it. I have used the rectangular ones and they work fine on my Festool. But, pay attention to the grit suggestions on Surfprep’s site.
Grits ratings must be a on different scape compared to Festool.
Cami (USA) - FEPA (Europe)
Font Rectangle Pattern Number Circle

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
Property Manager
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know see you're talking about using a separate company's product on your Festool sander(s) as DeanV stated. I haven't used SurfPrep.
I'm interested in what you find out and hope you post about it. Good luck.
I made a template of the Surfprep triangle pad and held it up to my Festool Delta pad. It is .150 (5/32) smaller in both directions. I ordered a small pkg today and we'll see how it works. I'll report back once I have results.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
They are just rated as medium, fine, and very fine for the pads on the website. I will need to see if the packages have specific grits on it.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Here is a couple of the packages of sanding pads. I would say the 150/very fine feels like it is between 240 and 320 Festool paper. And the 60 grit/ medium feels like between about 120.
Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Gas Motor vehicle
Shipping box Packing materials Package delivery Carton Audio equipment

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. I do a lot of Cabinet Refinishing. Kind of a sandpaper geek too, lol. The Surfprep 3 x 5 pads work perfectly on the RTS400, that's what I use, among other methods. Their 5mm pads are better for flats, their 50mm sponge pads better and most for contoured surfaces such as Cabinets, maybe moldings. Also, for final high grit light sanding (320-400), the soft 50mm pads are gentle and work well. www.Painterssolutions.com now has them in stock, great place to order them among other supplies. Also, an absolute game changer for me has been using the 3M Cubitron 6" "Extract" Net Discs on the Festool RTS400. They just fit perfectly, the overlapping edges of the disc on the front and sides come in really useful for tight corner sanding, AND, they last longer then any other pad and longer then both the festool granat or rubin and the Mirka Net papers, and the dust suction when attached to a shop vac or better, a festool, is unmatched, 97% dust free, so strong, (with a festool CT22), I can almost pick up a small cabinet door with the sander just with the suction. Sandpaper showdowns:
(Didn't have the 3M Extract, it's better then the cubitron) &
Note: The 3M Extract 5" Discs are fantastic on 5" disc hand held sanding pads. The Extract is a bit harder to find online then most papers, surprising, Amazon has a decent selection sometimes, including the assorted 12 packs. Also Search Results Cheers!

·
Registered
Property Manager
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. I do a lot of Cabinet Refinishing. Kind of a sandpaper geek too, lol. The Surfprep 3 x 5 pads work perfectly on the RTS400, that's what I use, among other methods. Their 5mm pads are better for flats, their 50mm sponge pads better and most for contoured surfaces such as Cabinets, maybe moldings. Also, for final high grit light sanding (320-400), the soft 50mm pads are gentle and work well. www.Painterssolutions.com now has them in stock, great place to order them among other supplies. Also, an absolute game changer for me has been using the 3M Cubitron 6" "Extract" Net Discs on the Festool RTS400. They just fit perfectly, the overlapping edges of the disc on the front and sides come in really useful for tight corner sanding, AND, they last longer then any other pad and longer then both the festool granat or rubin and the Mirka Net papers, and the dust suction when attached to a shop vac or better, a festool, is unmatched, 97% dust free, so strong, (with a festool CT22), I can almost pick up a small cabinet door with the sander just with the suction. Sandpaper showdowns:
(Didn't have the 3M Extract, it's better then the cubitron) &
Note: The 3M Extract 5" Discs are fantastic on 5" disc hand held sanding pads. The Extract is a bit harder to find online then most papers, surprising, Amazon has a decent selection sometimes, including the assorted 12 packs. Also Search Results Cheers!
Thanks for posting this info. Very informative.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,466 Posts
What am I missing here? Why not just order the appropriate festool paper. It's relatively affordable in my experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts