Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
As stated, that's the key is to get the right needle and nozzle for the material. I'd suggest using some Flotrol added into the mix. The reason why is if your spraying lighter coats (less material) the HVLP is going to blow air as well, drying things out quickly. I've had issues with PC before with touch-ups where the sheen doesn't come out the same, even though it's from the same bucket. So..it's crucial to get all the passes overlapped and done correctly the first time. Extend the drying time and it will all level out nicely. PC is awesome stuff! I'm using 10 gals of it now for some drywall in a house we're building.

Good luck.
Thanks---I have had good luck in the past by adding a mix of water, XIM extender and floetrol and even a little water polyrueathane if it is not the top coat.

That Rustoleum water poly is a good product to spray through and HVLP but the satin finish is too opaque, the semi is fine.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Man, I know what my price is on that stuff and I can't imagine using it on drywall, not that it wouldn't work, just expensive. What's the application?
In this particular job I'm not using it for the whole house, it runs me around $29 a gallon, which is pretty steep for around here. The rest of the house is ProMar Zero VOC 400 for around $23 a gal.

The reason I'm using the enamel on the drywall is because we have some smooth texture and I felt that I'd get a better "feel/touch" factor by using some. I've used it on MDF and wood and it's come out pretty smooth to the touch, so I figured I'd go with what I know and shoot it on the primed drywall, make it look AND feel smooth. lol

We'll see how it turns out, I did a sample patch on the walls where the cabinets go and it looks/feels good, time to do the great room next week. I put it on kinda heavy so that might be another reason why it feels good lol.

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts
I'm over $40 too, yet I would think pm 400 at $23 seems high. Not sure as I never buy the stuff, I go for the pm 200 0 voc if I'm using SW interior wall paint. My price for 200 ranges from 22-27 depending on sheen.

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
PC is a styrene based paint. It may level great but has a gritty final "feel" to it sprayed. I never would consider it a wall paint. heck its hide is not all that stellar either. it performs for what I need it to do, but using a 40+ a gallon paint for walls is stupid when the alternatives are better. Unless the walls and trim are the same color and you are running and gunning to kick the job out.

29 seems highly unlikely. But with SW, anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
PC is a styrene based paint. It may level great but has a gritty final "feel" to it sprayed. I never would consider it a wall paint. heck its hide is not all that stellar either. it performs for what I need it to do, but using a 40+ a gallon paint for walls is stupid when the alternatives are better. Unless the walls and trim are the same color and you are running and gunning to kick the job out.

29 seems highly unlikely. But with SW, anything is possible.

Really? I've never gotten a gritty feel when I've sprayed it, that's kind weird. It's always been smooth to me and everyone else that's felt it thinks it is pretty smooth to the touch. I just mix and strain.

Yeah 29 is really close to their cost, at least my store's cost. One of the guys rang me up and even the manager thought it might be too low, but he checked and they are still making money, said it was like a dollar over their store cost. I'll try to post some receipts tonight when I get back from work. Gotta scan them in anyway for good 'ole Sam when the time comes lol.

Actually the house doesn't have any trim. It has shelves but those are going to be solid wood and stained. No baseboard or casing, which I think is good in some ways, bad in others.

Edit: Take that back it has baseboard just not painted/stained baseboard. It's all tile flooring.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Okay finally got back today ugh. :/

Found the receipts, just so no one claims I skipped out on anything. One purchase was $29/gal the other was $28.99/gal. Sorry about the size, the smaller version wouldn't show hardly any words/numbers.

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts
Like you said, anything is possible with SW! Thanks for posting that. I've always thought PC was a nice paint. I used to shoot it with just.a little extender mixed in for fun with a 310 on trim and 410 on doors. Worked out really nice. Have been buying mostly BM for a while, so haven't used any lately. I tried their PC hybrid version once, but wasn't amazed, not like when I tried advance for the first time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
My Titan rep suggested spraying latex PC with the #5 cap and thin with one capful of xim extender to mostly full gun cup of paint. I can't confirm as I haven't sprayed it with hvlp. Always had great success shooting it with 310 & 312 ff tips.
After a long wait and just in time my 105 Titan Capspray showed up without a #5 despite my telling the saleman to be sure that I got the right projector set etc, and noting this I went to the sheet of paper and crossed my name out saying wiping out the contract but did some research and decided to go talk to the manager over the newbie sweet little thing assistant trainee. So we take the machine to the back and spray some latex he had --undiluted with a #4 setup and it looked pretty good. The Maxim 2 elite gun is a complete redesign from the one I got 14 years ago--a 3 stage unit. I knew that a three stage would struggle to spray latex. I showed up on the job without testing the ProClassic and it worked fine. I put a little more XIM in than what you said and maybe a little bit less paint too. I sprayed a lot like an airless with a fine finish tip--I was surprised at the power. So I guess I am happy---I will know tomorrow if the sheen is as good as the airless. Inside I was able to tweak the fluid tip and the air to basically make a big airbrush if needed, and I did need that since the wall paper was not coming down and was so old that I figured taping it at all would be impossible. :thumbsup:

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts
Painter One said:
After a long wait and just in time my 105 Titan Capspray showed up without a #5 despite my telling the saleman to be sure that I got the right projector set etc, and noting this I went to the sheet of paper and crossed my name out saying wiping out the contract but did some research and decided to go talk to the manager over the newbie sweet little thing assistant trainee. So we take the machine to the back and spray some latex he had --undiluted with a #4 setup and it looked pretty good. The Maxim 2 elite gun is a complete redesign from the one I got 14 years ago--a 3 stage unit. I knew that a three stage would struggle to spray latex. I showed up on the job without testing the ProClassic and it worked fine. I put a little more XIM in than what you said and maybe a little bit less paint too. I sprayed a lot like an airless with a fine finish tip--I was surprised at the power. So I guess I am happy---I will know tomorrow if the sheen is as good as the airless. Inside I was able to tweak the fluid tip and the air to basically make a big airbrush if needed, and I did need that since the wall paper was not coming down and was so old that I figured taping it at all would be impossible. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the update. Let me know how it looks tomorrow. Yes, you can use a spray shield and dial the fluid down low and not mask much. Make sure to get the #5 setup though.

·
Painting & More
564 Posts
2 things

First-my shelf price on the PC is over $63, so I'm already $10 over before the discount. They had a sale last week and I was happy to get it for $40 something. $29 just blows my mind.

Anyway, to PainterOne,

I consulted my rep about an hvlp that would move the PC latex lines and he suggested the 105 too, but what do you know about the Capspray 115?

I am getting lots of interior kitchen a bath repaints/remodels and my 395 with ff tips just puts out too much. I love it in the NC jobs for doors and trim, though!!:yes:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
How much are you guys buying your capsprays for? Looking online, I feel you'd be better suited with a 4 stage Fuji Gold. Sounds like a little vacuum cleaner, pretty quiet compared to others I've heard. Check it out, it's one of my champions, I use it for TONS of stuff!

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts
A+HomeWork said:
First-my shelf price on the PC is over $63, so I'm already $10 over before the discount. They had a sale last week and I was happy to get it for $40 something. $29 just blows my mind.

Anyway, to PainterOne,

I consulted my rep about an hvlp that would move the PC latex lines and he suggested the 105 too, but what do you know about the Capspray 115?

I am getting lots of interior kitchen a bath repaints/remodels and my 395 with ff tips just puts out too much. I love it in the NC jobs for doors and trim, though!!:yes:
Got my 115 with transfer pump which lets you shoot without the cup for $1500 plus tax at the SW pro show last year. I would get the 115 over the 105 because you can set it at 4 stage for thinner products, and 6 stage for thicker.

·
Painting & More
564 Posts
Got my 115 with transfer pump which lets you shoot without the cup for $1500 plus tax at the SW pro show last year. I would get the 115 over the 105 because you can set it at 4 stage for thinner products, and 6 stage for thicker.
I will be getting a quote tomorrow on the Titan hvlps.

Does $1175 sound good for the 105?

If so, do you think the 115 with transfer pump is worth $325 more?

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts
A+HomeWork said:
I will be getting a quote tomorrow on the Titan hvlps.

Does $1175 sound good for the 105?

If so, do you think the 115 with transfer pump is worth $325 more?
I actually haven't even used my transfer pump other than testing it with water to see how it worked. I love how easy the cup gun is to clean up, and usually I'm not using more than 3 quarts per coat for the trim jobs I'm using it on. I never did put pump saver it after testing it, so hopefully it's not ruined now.
I can't comment on whether the 105 would do the job. I have a feeling it would be fine. On the other hand it's nice having the two different stages on the 115. If you have it for 5 years that extra $325 doesn't seem to bad (spoken like a true salesman).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts