Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have used very little SW products. I can't stand the business platform of deep discounts on inflated prices to make it seem you are getting a deal. However my next project the owner who is a contractor is buying SW Superpaint. Says it's better the BM Aura and he is getting it for half the cost ($28 per gallon???). He's a bit a blowhard. So I'm not going to fight him. He's adamant and sold on the product and it's his dime. I'm actually a "volunteer". It's a family project of sorts. Is there anything I should know and plan for in regards to this Superpaint? Even the name irritates me, lol. I know I have to keep an open mind and all. I heard about excessive hat banding but we have crown going up. However I got a ALOT of windows and cabinets to cut in before I roll, so I was going to use some extender. I'm guessing I'll be using the 4" roller more then my 9". Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
So I have used very little SW products. I can't stand the business platform of deep discounts on inflated prices to make it seem you are getting a deal. However my next project the owner who is a contractor is buying SW Superpaint. Says it's better the BM Aura and he is getting it for half the cost ($28 per gallon???). He's a bit a blowhard. So I'm not going to fight him. He's adamant and sold on the product and it's his dime. I'm actually a "volunteer". It's a family project of sorts. Is there anything I should know and plan for in regards to this Superpaint? Even the name irritates me, lol. I know I have to keep an open mind and all. I heard about excessive hat banding but we have crown going up. However I got a ALOT of windows and cabinets to cut in before I roll, so I was going to use some extender. I'm guessing I'll be using the 4" roller more then my 9". Thoughts?
I use SP frequently, and have not had problems with it. I consider it a paint I like.

It is medium-to-high grade paint.
I prefer Cashmere, but Superpaint Whites (which is on the same level) tend to cover better than Cashmere whites. They touch-up well, and have not had problems with hat banding.

Agree with you about the pricing structure. I strongly dislike S-W pricing schemes.

·
Monarchski
148 Posts
Better than Aura? LOL. It's the same as BM Ultra Spec line. I don't care for it. Found it to be very ropey and didn't go as far as other paints I've used.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,225 Posts
Stay away from their luminous white bases, unless you like to practice painting walls over and over again. If they choose a red for an accent color or something, make sure it's in a red base and not their ultradeep base. Other than that, SuperPaint interior is fine. I could think of many interior paints I'd rather use, but it's not bad. If you plan on using a mini roller in addition to your 9", be sure they are the same nap and cover type. This is even more critical for smooth wall vs. textured. Even with the addition of extender, keeping a wet edge would be challenging unless you cut in a wall, then roll it immediately, then move on to the next wall.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stay away from their luminous white bases, unless you like to practice painting walls over and over again. If they choose a red for an accent color or something, make sure it's in a red base and not their ultradeep base. Other than that, SuperPaint interior is fine. I could think of many interior paints I'd rather use, but it's not bad. If you plan on using a mini roller in addition to your 9", be sure they are the same nap and cover type. This is even more critical for smooth wall vs. textured. Even with the addition of extender, keeping a wet edge would be challenging unless you cut in a wall, then roll it immediately, then move on to the next wall.
Yes I cut a wall and then roll the wall to keep that wet edge. Yes both covers will be the same nap 3/8 microfiber, Arroworthy brand. Can't get Wooster 4" suddenly. My BM Dealer is out no idea when they are going to get their order in. Walls are going to be a light grey, Vancouver Day C2-993, and an accent color of Vault C2-966 on a specified wall.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I just put 400 on a ceiling (light grey color) because the store was out of 200, and it looked better than the last ceiling I did with Superpaint. Just sayin......

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What can you expect? It's SW Superpaint. Expect it to be "ok." It will brush and roll "ok." It will cover "ok." It will look "ok."

With regards to comparison to Aura, there isn't one. Saying it's better than Aura is like saying pine is better than hickory for heating with a woodstove. But whatever. Make the guy happy. It'll be "ok."

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's pretty decent stuff, I don't use a ton of SW but when I do it's usually my standard for interiors, unless they want to upgrade to Duration etc

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's paint. I don't think there's anything wrong or great about it, it's just paint. I wouldn't really wanna use it on trim but for walls it's fine and good enough. I would think on trim it wouldn't really harden up great, but as a wall paint it's adequate. I never had problems with it hat banding or flashing, but I've always been a wet into wet/cut and roll one wall at a time type of painter. The only paint I had severe hatbanding and flashing issues is with Aura, really, both rolling into dry and wet, but I think it was some combo of bad batch/house conditions. Not a big Aura fan, but do like Regal Select a lot.

For Superpaint feel, I would put it at different than Aura or Regal. I would say it's relatively the same thickness, but moderately less drag, but imo less runny applied at the same thicknesses (with Regal and Aura I need to not be as heavy when cutting in.) It really likes being applied thick, thus why some people get low coverage rates with it. If you've used BM exclusively I would say it handles like a thicker Ben from what I remember.

I'm kinda surprised at someone never using Superpaint, it's sort of an industry standard of "here is paint" that's used on a lot of commercial stuff especially. I don't think there's much to know, it's generic paint that works as paint. I prefer Cashmere in look/feel and would put Cashmere as somewhat close to even Regal, but Superpaint is totally adequate paint.

·
Super Moderator
6,980 Posts
If you're looking for a BM comparison I'd say it falls between Ben and Regal. Superpaint will get the job done, it's easy to apply and has decent coverage. I've never had hatband issues with it that I can recall and I wouldn't recommend using it on ceilings. For ceilings I'd recommend their promar ceiling paint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can ignore the "discounts on inflated prices" by speaking to your sales rep and get a price quote for all of the products you use most often. Then that will be your price for approx. 6 months or longer. You can also get your rep to provide you with job quotes. These are generally used on larger projects. If your average job takes up to 50 gallons and you are bidding a project that will require 100 gallons or more, then I recommend getting a job quote. A job quote is usually a little lower than your shop account pricing.

Both of these will stabilize your price points so you can ignore "discounts". Contractors typically get prices lower than any discount.....
Hope this helps. PS... Superpaint is excellent middle of the road commercial coating for exteriors. Used it for 25 years. Zero complaints. As for BM Aura....don't waste your money. Not worth 50.00+ per gallon.

·
Monarchski
148 Posts
You can ignore the "discounts on inflated prices" by speaking to your sales rep and get a price quote for all of the products you use most often. Then that will be your price for approx. 6 months or longer. You can also get your rep to provide you with job quotes. These are generally used on larger projects. If your average job takes up to 50 gallons and you are bidding a project that will require 100 gallons or more, then I recommend getting a job quote. A job quote is usually a little lower than your shop account pricing.

Both of these will stabilize your price points so you can ignore "discounts". Contractors typically get prices lower than any discount.....
Hope this helps. PS... Superpaint is excellent middle of the road commercial coating for exteriors. Used it for 25 years. Zero complaints. As for BM Aura....don't waste your money. Not worth 50.00+ per gallon.
I smell a SW Rep.

·
Registered
7 Posts
lol....
No, I'm not a rep.
I know more than most reps as I have been self employed painting contractor for 29 years and I have had over 400 employees. I just know how the game works....use your reps. That's what they ate for.
If you dont have one, talk to your store manager and get one assigned to your account.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

It was upgraded to emerald and duration. The emerald covered fine. The duration not so much. It was a darker color and covered terribly. Primed the walls with promar 200 and then did some final touch ups after. Didn’t spot prime. And now I’m doing it again. The primed spots stick out terribly. Even after 2 coats. My fault. Never had a issue with bm regal. But also it was dark. Almost black. The lighter emerald covered fine. Sucks to be me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was upgraded to emerald and duration. The emerald covered fine. The duration not so much. It was a darker color and covered terribly. Primed the walls with promar 200 and then did some final touch ups after. Didn’t spot prime. And now I’m doing it again. The primed spots stick out terribly. Even after 2 coats. My fault. Never had a issue with bm regal. But also it was dark. Almost black. The lighter emerald covered fine. Sucks to be me.
If you are doing interior walls with an eggshell sheen, try the pro-mar 200 eggshell. Most lighter and medium colors touch up without flashing.
The more expensive lines dont touch up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are doing interior walls with an eggshell sheen, try the pro-mar 200 eggshell. Most lighter and medium colors touch up without flashing.
The more expensive lines dont touch up.
I think I’d rather go a bm product. Maybe a matte finish. I’ll ask my BM rep. Note : this is getting crown molding. That is not how I cut in a ceiling. lol.
90A2CB20-9405-499A-B1BA-9D943AE8FE3E.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
lol....
No, I'm not a rep.
I know more than most reps as I have been self employed painting contractor for 29 years and I have had over 400 employees. I just know how the game works....use your reps. That's what they ate for.
If you dont have one, talk to your store manager and get one assigned to your account.
You have 400 employees but still play the SW game?

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I can think of a few reasons it might be doing that...
Highly pigmented colors sometimes dry funny. Deep base colors. Smooth walls. Not keeping a wet edge. The lighting could be bad in that room, highlighting the deficit. It looks like it's still drying in the photo.

On smooth walls I will sometimes use a 1/2" nap to add a bit of texture, to unify the appearance.

Agreed, a lower sheen might have worked better in that space.
That sheen should sit down a little bit in a week or two (after full cure for sure).

Are you painting out one wall at a time, completely - perimeter first, then fill it in to keep it all wet- before moving to the next wall? What is your technique, specifically?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use SP frequently, and have not had problems with it. I consider it a paint I like.

It is medium-to-high grade paint.
I prefer Cashmere, but Superpaint Whites (which is on the same level) tend to cover better than Cashmere whites. They touch-up well, and have not had problems with hat banding.

Agree with you about the pricing structure. I strongly dislike S-W pricing schemes.
Cashmere is a beast amongst boys when it comes to SW interior paints. Go into any SW bathroom, it is painted with Emerald, notice the dirt accumulation? it is a very soft finish as is SW Super Paint. The rheology or appearance is chippy @ best with bubbles or pimples throughout its finish if using a satin or semi. Flashing is also very noticeable if you look at the finish @ a 70 degree angle. Name brand recognition amongst the end users is very difficult to overcome.
Cashmere Matte "the D15 line" has the best finish

1 - 20 of 23 Posts