Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always been using an oil primer for wood with knots. Is this stuff just as good? Be nice to run a water base through sprayer for wood ceilings if I can quarantee tannins will not bleed through! I think it use to be called kilz max!

9C404940-7C37-467A-B263-ECA7CC6426FD.png

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,786 Posts
I don't trust any latex primer for knots. Spot them with BIN and then maybe th3 Kilz will work for the rest. Maybe..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't trust any latex primer for knots. Spot them with BIN and then maybe th3 Kilz will work for the rest. Maybe..
That’s what i was thinking. Other paint stores have two types always a latex for some things then oil for tannins. This is one of the few that says for tannins. Must be marketing for diy’s. They do get better with water base all the time though. I quess when we see a few water base ones bragging about good for tannins then we might be getting somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
That’s what i was thinking. Other paint stores have two types always a latex for some things then oil for tannins. This is one of the few that says for tannins. Must be marketing for diy’s. They do get better with water base all the time though. I quess when we see a few water base ones bragging about good for tannins then we might be getting somewhere.
It's probably like Zinsser's SmartPrime. I did a thread on it a couple months ago. I think they are trying to phase oils out industry wide.

We'll probably all be using wb primers for everything in the future. Does California still allow oil Based primers? That should inform us on the subject.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts