Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

tape ? and suggestions

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  PaintSlave 
#1 ·
I have a concern and question of tapes. On a typical repaint where baseboards are fully cured, I usually buy a production tape or a blue tape. ALthough the best tape that I have used was in the 90's in washington state and was 3m 2090. Was expensive and stuck to the dirtiest, difficult surfaces and I don't recall having frustrations more often like I do now. I don't see 2090 around here in WV.

I usually remove the tape on the same day. Although on occasions it will be the following day, and usually I have to go along with a razor blade and work at removing, get a good pull started and then, the tape rips.

So I have switched now to frog tape. Luckily there was a bucket sale at SW where I am forced to shop because there are really no other choices other than Lowes or HD. PPG is too far away to make daily drives. The bucket sale was 35% off painting sundry's. So I tested the green and it seems ok.

I will return on further tape discussion...cause I am not finished.....but have to get a snack for the kid..

OR maybe I make him wait and toss in the ?

I will be doing a new const. project and will most likely use Pro Classic Waterbase on the trim or their waterborne acrylic alkyd, and am worried about tape transfer or pulling off of the finish...is it just a matter of a good day or two of drytime? or do you know a great system with tapes/brands?

I am not using oil or lacquer coating beacause I am sick of the hassle or clean up and drytime.-stink.

The base/trim comes preprimed, and the plan is that I will reprime after I spackle...

anytips would be great.....ly appreciated.

sagebrush(like the plant)

See less See more
#2 ·
I use mostly 2050 ( 3 day yellow tape) because I find blue doesn't have enough stick more than I find 2050 has too much. I also use 3/4" with 3"or6" paper on a hand masker. So only about 3/8" is actually exposed and making the stick. Why pay for 2" of tape when a small amount+ paper will do it better. And why pay for blue. If I feel I'm going to have leakage issues (rough old base for example) I'll hit the edge of the tape with gardz, does about what frog tape will do - cheaply.

#3 ·
thanks BrushJockey for reply. I will look for yellow2050...it may be around close by....and I will utilize the Gaurdz stuff. I am assuming that it bleeds and dries in clear, therefore no bleeding after painting.

I was aggrevated somewhat today with taping over stained trim...even with the green frog tape. Based on the way the trim is nailed in tight or not, there seems to be some time spent(more than I want) with my five-in-one and my wet rag or going back in to touch up areas tapped too high....:eek: I was using 1" green frog tape with 9" paper...as the baseboards are broad.

Have not used the Guardz product and will try it base on your sharing, and I appreciate feedback as such.

Happy painting.

Do you care to tell me if you do alot of new construction projects, and what paints you prefer?

#5 ·
The tape issues for us are ongoing. We've seen issues with at least six 3M tapes including 2090 which we see the most inconsistencies in. Most of the issues are the level of tack varies from roll to roll, slivers badly, poor tack, releases itself (falls off), snaps in two when you try pulling, stretches easily it etc.

2050 is sold at our Lowes and it is good tape. We moved a case without a single issue but it is tacky. Guys need to be careful with tacky tapes on NC because some trim paints barely adhere to the factory primers. Sanding top edges of baseboard on pre-primed MDF or the side of casings where guys tape off need shop vac'd with a brush attachment to remove that primer sanding residue.

2090 is an acrylic adhesive and 2050 is rubber. Most of those blue tapes are acrylic if I'm not mistaken and the natural crepe is rubber based.

We had no paint release with Pro Classic water/oil version semi-gloss over Zinsser using 2090 but I have not tried any other tape on that paint.

#6 · (Edited)
I've used the 1 1/2" 3M Scotch brand 2020 for years on freshly painted baseboards...I let it dry overnight and I've never had a problem... There's very little bleed if you do it properly....One could seal the tape with a light coat of the trim paint if you desire a lazer-like cut line.

I use 1" frog tape when doing feature walls.

#9 ·
I am a big fan of Proff's masking tape. It is an orange rice paper based tape that has a high amount of linear strength, so it doesn't stretch and distort, is really thin so it easy to manipulate and get down tight and just enough tack.

Was given 3m's new tape with edge guard last year. (It's out now) and if you apply it right, I think its the best you can get to fight seepage. Just has too much tack for me. (have pulled off paint a couple of times)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.