Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a fine resource for Technical Paint Data:

In my ongoing thread about "paint sales reps" a majority of the feedback is in relation to wanting more technical assistance, along with great service from their reps. I promised to share some of the resources I have relied on over the last twenty five years in this business.

All of the major paint suppliers will have Technical data sheets. It's important to understand the components these sheets are referring to.

Rohm Haas (Paint Quality Institute) is one of the best resources for technical data.

There are a lot of free tools and marketing aids, as well. Check out the home page as the site has separate area's for contractors, suppliers and specifiers.

Enjoy!

http://paintquality.com/spec/index.html

· Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Any "third party" information we can give a customer gives a lot more credibility to what we say. I have often found myself in a "he said, she said" situation in which the customer doesn't know who to believe. Handing him a PQI information sheet usually seals the deal.

And I agree with Aaron-- the spraying information has come in handy many, many times.

Brian Phillips

· Registered
14,407 Posts
Any "third party" information we can give a customer gives a lot more credibility to what we say. I have often found myself in a "he said, she said" situation in which the customer doesn't know who to believe. Handing him a PQI information sheet usually seals the deal.

And I agree with Aaron-- the spraying information has come in handy many, many times.

Brian Phillips
The customer's idea of "third party" is Consumer you know whats. Its nice to see a more credible and paint specific resource.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"The customer's idea of "third party" is Consumer you know whats. Its nice to see a more credible and paint specific resource."

The other "third party" consumer source gets PAID by the manufacturers it rates.

PQI processes and manufactures the raw materials that many of the largest paint manufactures in the world use in their paints. These folks are scientists and chemist Guru's and they have to be.

During my 5 year apprenticeship, (over 20 years ago) I worked along side European Master Craftsman on two mega estates in the CA Bay Area. These guys had the equivalent of masters degrees from Europe, in painting.The Panting Contractor we worked for, insisted we Americans study heavily and learn the technical components of coatings. He himself was from the era where painters MADE their own paint on the job.

We studied from a library of books to include the history and science behind coatings. We relied heavily upon Rohm Haas PQI written materials and we were tested on retention. The information was not on line. Not even sure if computer were completely invented yet? LOL

In most industries, manufacturers do coop advertising and provide camera ready sales and advertising materials to their end vendors and installers. I have always felt slighted that the paint industry does not tend to do that.

Paint manufacturers tend to be very skeptical and picky as far as contractors even using their Logo's in advertising. This is changing for the better in recent years as the level of professional integrity has come a long way in the painting trade.

PQI, is an excellent resource at a great price, FREE! If anyone is not familiar with the site, do take some time to look around. There are a lot of hidden treasures deep down in the links.

I myself am going back through all the information as I embark on my journey into the other side of the business as a sales rep.

As far as I go, you CAN teach an OLD dog, new tricks. Forever learning here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.