Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's an interesting discussion where I would like to add my two cents.... especially on painting a teenager's room...

I have seen parents having tough times while convincing their teenagers for decorating their rooms. Now teenagers would feel that they are old enough to want to decorate or paint their room, but at the same time all the ideas they have are rather wacky. They may ask to paint the whole room with black color and the parents would want to use bright colors :).

If that is the situation you are in then parents can usually take a middle way out by letting their teenager to color one wall with black or a color of their choice (usually dark) and other walls can be painted with bright colors.

Fellow painters can also give this suggestion to their clients if they are found in similar situation.

Most of the times this works! ;)

Matt Walters
Pure Painters Inc.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
That's an interesting discussion where I would like to add my two cents.... especially on painting a teenager's room...

I have seen parents having tough times while convincing their teenagers for decorating their rooms. Now teenagers would feel that they are old enough to want to decorate or paint their room, but at the same time all the ideas they have are rather wacky. They may ask to paint the whole room with black color and the parents would want to use bright colors :).

If that is the situation you are in then parents can usually take a middle way out by letting their teenager to color one wall with black or a color of their choice (usually dark) and other walls can be painted with bright colors.

Fellow painters can also give this suggestion to their clients if they are found in similar situation.

Most of the times this works! ;)

Matt Walters
Pure Painters Inc.
Being in a store I see this all the time. Usually its the parents trying to talk the son/daughter out of their idea. I always tell the parents "who cares, let them express themselves, its only paint and once they move out you can reclaim that room." The way I see it, kids need to feel like they have some sort of control in their life. Even if its just picking a color, or painting the room themselves. If thats the worst decision they make, consider yourself lucky. They could be out getting into trouble, or another piercing, tattoo, or doing drugs.

·
house painter
2,333 Posts
i run into this weekly, and most of my customers ask me for advice regarding it.

i tell them>>> id give the kid an accent wall, and a FATHEAD.

most of them do it!!! i should carry an inventory of fatheads in the van,,,lol.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Being in a store I see this all the time. Usually its the parents trying to talk the son/daughter out of their idea. I always tell the parents "who cares, let them express themselves, its only paint and once they move out you can reclaim that room." The way I see it, kids need to feel like they have some sort of control in their life. Even if its just picking a color, or painting the room themselves. If thats the worst decision they make, consider yourself lucky. They could be out getting into trouble, or another piercing, tattoo, or doing drugs.
Essentially that's exactly what I advised parents when I was managing a store. Also, I explained that we all go through taste changes, and if a parent doesn't allow something as insignificant as room decor to be expressed, the child's taste can not evolve.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We allow our teen daughter to decorate her room the way she wishes. Recently it changed from lime green w/ purple polkadots, to a somewhat pleasing blue. Let 'em have their own small world. They take pride in it. It's their haven. Before long, they'll be gone and we'd wish we'd let have their way in their space.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
We allow our teen daughter to decorate her room the way she wishes. Recently it changed from lime green w/ purple polkadots, to a somewhat pleasing blue. Let 'em have their
own small world. They take pride in it. It's their haven. Before long, they'll be gone and we'd wish we'd let have their way in their space.
Good for you.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
We moved homes last November. Part of easing stress and making this fun for our 3 year old we let him pick his own colour. Orange is his favourite and orange it is. He also wanted red and my wife couldn't do that so I'm going to do the closet and inside doors red. He's pretty proud of himself.

I always tell customers, "its only paint.", picking colours can stress people out, feel more like a councillor somedays.

Absolutely, let the teenagers do it, not a battle worth fighting in my books.

·
Registered
591 Posts
When I was 16 I painted all the trim in my room BLACK it was a big mess.
I hate painting with black you can see all the brush strokes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When we moved into our new home a few years back, my wife decided she wanted every wall in my daughter's room a different color :eek:. My son liked it so much he decided to do the same. Now THAT was FUN!!:no:

·
17,820 Posts
I say it is only paint and you should let them express themselves.
My daughter has a yellow ceiling which drops down a third of the wall which then goes into a mellonish color, then the bottom color is a pink. Top that off with some purple trim. So three wall colors and a trim color.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don't ever recommend anything crazy, but if they bring it I then go for it because I know I'll be back sooner to repaint it. No matter the color it all looks green to me. 2 weeks ago I painted a dining room a burnt red and painted the ceiling black. It's fun to get to do something other than beige.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts