Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a better, more advanced, way to test if the siding I have been tasked to stain will absorb the stain? I have heard about flicking water and if the water absorbs in and doesn't bead it "should' be ok to stain but is there a better more scientific way? A meter of sorts I could use?

Reason I am asking, the customer wanted his southern facing side of his house restained. I washed it and waited a good week of dry weather to test the color. The stain is PPG ProLuxe SRD TeakOil. That is what he used previously. It's been over 4 years. Stained a board with new stain, out of the box, and it didn't soak in. Finish was glossy and not matte. I talked with my supplier and they said it was because the wood is not ready to be restained. It is still holding on and preserved. I flicked water on it. the water sucked in, but maybe not enough?
I tried a board that was somewhat hidden but not by no means in the shade.
Wood Plant Rectangle Brick Road surface

This is the side of the house in April this year. The board length I stained was lower left.
Automotive parking light Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only my second time using this, PPG Proluxe. First time was with new wood that had weathered a year. It soaked in OK, but could not do a wet-on-wet application. I would hate, and so would the customer, to have it shiny like this. And he is not going to pay for me to strip it. Hate to switch to a different product. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that wood does look quite dry, the water test is what I tell people to do. All exterior stains(transparent) will form a film(and peel) when coated too thick or too soon. Vertical surfaces always last longer than horizontals. If you give it a coat(not a bad idea) wipe any excess off to prevent any build up and peeling. hope that helps.
Give it a wipe. Interesting suggestion. I'm thinking of microfiber cloths or any other suggestion that won't snag and leave lint. Maybe Rags in a Box or Shop Rags.

Is this what you mean? A little more work but could serve the purpose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts