Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since over half of Oregon is publicly-owned, I'd wager most Oregonians would probably claim an affinity for the outdoors. I've settled in this corner of the state largely because of the wilderness areas, and Oregon still has a decent land ethic that helps keep them in great shape (crazed cattle ranchers from Nevada may dispute this point). I didn't carry an actual camera while backpacking this year, but here's a few of the shots I snapped with my phone when I could be bothered to fish it out of my pack.

Show off your favorite concrete-free spots!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I definitely need to get out more. I've only been up to lynn canyon and I've been living in B.C. for almost 10 years now

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,354 Posts
I definitely need to get out more. I've only been up to lynn canyon and I've been living in B.C. for almost 10 years now

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Stop doing this. I lived in BC for 16 years and made the same mistake.

I never went to Whistler once. I never made it to Vancouver Island. I didn't make it to the Okanogan until my wife and I went back to BC to visit friends.

If you ever get a chance, go to Galiano Island. My wife and I spent a week there once with our dog Bob in a cabin right near the ocean. No electricity, phone, running water and an old wood stove for heat. Absolutely great time. Once we got 5 minutes from the ferry dock, we didn't see another soul for the entire week.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Stop doing this. I lived in BC for 16 years and made the same mistake.

I never went to Whistler once. I never made it to Vancouver Island. I didn't make it to the Okanogan until my wife and I went back to BC to visit friends.

If you ever get a chance, go to Galiano Island. My wife and I spent a week there once with our dog Bob in a cabin right near the ocean. No electricity, phone, running water and an old wood stove for heat. Absolutely great time. Once we got 5 minutes from the ferry dock, we didn't see another soul for the entire week.
I dunno, Wildbill, there's some pretty nice country where you are now.

IMG_2200.JPG

(Not my photo)

·
Super Moderator
6,354 Posts
I dunno, Wildbill, there's some pretty nice country where you are now.

View attachment 86314

(Not my photo)
Tonight we've got the sideways snow, drifting, freezing temps, etc. Typical Bruce County. Not so nice country. Talk about the highway being closed. Plows haven't been out yet.

Yer not at your cabin in the woods. Somewhere comfy, I assume.

God I love my woodstove.

·
Super Moderator
6,354 Posts
Your mountain maybe be bigger but mine's made of trash! :blink:

With an average elevation of about 9' Mount Trashmore Virginia beach is tallest mountain for 50 miles topping off around 60 feet :thumbup:
I remember driving out of Ontario heading to British Columbia in my 20's. I'd never seen the rockies. Hitting Western ON and telling some guy at a gas station that the 'mountains' I was seeing were amazing. He looked at my car and saw that I had my world belongings inside and asked where I was headed.

He laughed and said "you haven't seen anything yet man." How right he was...

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Tonight we've got the sideways snow, drifting, freezing temps, etc. Typical Bruce County. Not so nice country. Talk about the highway being closed. Plows haven't been out yet.

Yer not at your cabin in the woods. Somewhere comfy, I assume.

God I love my woodstove.
I wish we were. K and I are trying to get back there for a stretch, either this winter or next.

Reactions: Wildbill7145

·
RePaintFlorida.com
1,763 Posts
Beautiful country :thumbsup:

i have gotting into boondocking / dispersed camping in Florida in state owned land

have made it a thing that every 3rd week i take a 3 day road trip to a new place
really a good way to rewind myself

while we have no mountains we have beaches and some amazing swamp lands, lakes, rivers & wildlife

leaving again 12/16 to go to https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/potts.html

last trip was https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/flyingeagle.html
10,950 acres of god's country

where else do you see a air boat crossing crossing the road

where every you live slow down & enjoy life , get out to the back country

work can wait ... life won't

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
If I had a choice, It be San Diego again. Where on a clear day you can see the snow on the mountains 60 miles away. From the beach. At 80 degrees in January. But alas, Ohio is my snowbound hell.

Of course I am only a short 1 hour drive from Campbell Hill, the highest point in the US between the Alleghenies and The Rockies. Only, it looks like a big golf course mound. But from the top you can see a bunch of corn!

Reactions: Wildbill7145

·
Administrator
19,580 Posts
We are still getting snowfalls (very light) over here in the valley. Unusual for this late in the year. Another short snow event predicted for tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Eagle Cap Painter

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The title of this thread made me realize how I could never lay claim to living on a mountain higher than anyone else.

I live in Mount Dora, Fl. Elevation is around 180 feet above sea level. Here is a photo of the highest point of which I know. All I can say is that whoever named this place had a sense of humor.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts