Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the lead painter for a museum fabricator in Omaha NE. We have been building exhibits for a popular natural history museum in NYC for a few years now. They ALWAYS spec latex arcylic eggshell for their finishes. For most of the exhibis so far I have been using Diamond Vogel (Midwest MFG) Permacryl Eggshell. The deadlines for these exhibits, which we build in Omaha then ship to NY for assembly, are extremely tight(sometimes painting a display with only one hour drytime before it is packed on a truck.
My problem/question is: the Permacryl eggshell stays soft for a long time and often needs touch up onsite due to being shrink wrapped still wet. Is there a preferred paint product that:
-Good coverage - usually using very deep bases.
-FAST drying with great blocking resistance.
-Durable Eggshell Finish
Typically I pay around $30/gal for the Permacryl but have no problem paying twice that if it performs better.

Equipment: Graco FinishPro 395 Air Assisted Airless.

Chris, Omaha

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Not sure what sort of finish is required but as far as quick drying hard acrylics it's tough to beat Sherwin Williams' All Surface Enamel.

It's all I use on exterior doors because it sets so quickly and doesn't block against the weather stripping.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thanks Gibb.
I am not sure if their low sheen finish is comparable to eggshell. I am familiar with that product though...
I think you're right the sheen is a bit dull but that can be worked around if the product meets your more important criteria which is quick drying with no blocking.

I believe all the ASE sheens are dull compared to the usual gloss rating. It's also possible the ASE gloss is not too much more of a sheen than your current eggshell finish. I say gloss because I think ASE doesn't come in semi.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Instead of acrylic eggshel, would a pigmented lacquer work? SW has a great waterbased pigment lacquer, Kem Aqua pig lac available in almost any color. Quick pack time and very good abrasion resistance.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I am the lead painter for a museum fabricator in Omaha NE. We have been building exhibits for a popular natural history museum in NYC for a few years now. They ALWAYS spec latex arcylic eggshell for their finishes. For most of the exhibis so far I have been using Diamond Vogel (Midwest MFG) Permacryl Eggshell. The deadlines for these exhibits, which we build in Omaha then ship to NY for assembly, are extremely tight(sometimes painting a display with only one hour drytime before it is packed on a truck.
My problem/question is: the Permacryl eggshell stays soft for a long time and often needs touch up onsite due to being shrink wrapped still wet. Is there a preferred paint product that:
-Durable Eggshell Finish
Typically I pay around $30/gal for the Permacryl but have no problem paying twice that if it performs better.

Chris, Omaha
That's a pretty tough assignment. The Ben Moore Aura Egg dries pretty fast and hard as does the Regal Egg. With only an hour and deep colors it's going to be tough to stack pieces where they may touch each other and not have problems. Several hours and you may have a shot. The trick is to user a product that is 100% acrylic not a latex/acrylic. The 100% will dry faster and harder in my experience.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Another vote for All Surface Enamel:thumbsup:

100% acrylic with a tough finish. I once painted some elevator doors with ase semi and had a large fan blow on it. Within 15 min I was applying a second coat!
This was a deep base colour and the results were awesome. I believe the sheen levels offered are eggshell, semi and gloss. You could try mixing the eggshell and semi together and probably end up with a pearl, if the semi has too much sheen for you.

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts
Museum_Fab_Omaha said:
We use breakthrough often for children's museum exhibits, however it is only available in satin and gloss. I need eggshell.
You could try adding flatting agents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like SW Pro Industrials might be the way to go. I am going to try the Multi Surface Acrylic and the pre cat Waterborne Epoxy, both available in eggshell. Thanks for all the help!

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts
Museum_Fab_Omaha said:
Looks like SW Pro Industrials might be the way to go. I am going to try the Multi Surface Acrylic and the pre cat Waterborne Epoxy, both available in eggshell. Thanks for all the help!
Not sure how SW rates those products, but a lot of their eggshells are the shiny type, one step below semi gloss. Wish they could all agree on sheen names. Now the new BM ultra spec line is following the sheen names of promar 200 zero, with flat, low sheen, eggshell, semi gloss etc. wish they would have stuck to their same names as super spec etc.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Not sure how SW rates those products, but a lot of their eggshells are the shiny type, one step below semi gloss. Wish they could all agree on sheen names. Now the new BM ultra spec line is following the sheen names of promar 200 zero, with flat, low sheen, eggshell, semi gloss etc. wish they would have stuck to their same names as super spec etc.
Theres only one true sheen and his name is Charlie.:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
for the type of finishing your trying to achieve standard over the counter coatings are not the right fit for your operation,. call your local sherwin williams facility and ask for a chemical coatings rep to come and survey your requirements they have products that will fast and dry quickly with pencil hardness to meet your needs products are available for theproduct finishing trade

·
Registered
368 Posts
Museum_Fab_Omaha said:
-Durable Eggshell Finish

Chris, Omaha
Chris

Are you telling us that the big T Rex Skeleton is painted with acrylic Eggshell ????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts