Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread and one post in particular made me yearn to hear more about the old ways. There's a saying that says "can't know where you're going unless you know where you've been". Lets hear some more stories about the old ways. How things used to be done, materials, tools, stuff like that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
old ways

I was telling a guy the other day that I miss 2 things the most

1- painters used to be willing to work on their projects- in other words they would sand, wait however long for something to dry, etc in order to make something look good - now if it dont dry in 5 minutes, brush like butter, smoo th as glass, touch up, self prime, no prep then the product is no good

2- I miss when we didnt have 100 different primers and 100 different topcoats- most of that can be attributed to the above #1

3- I know i said 2 but I remembered another, I really miss the family owned painters that truely were craftsmen and not just fly by night price *****s.

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
In the old days, guys had to pee in the paint to get it to dry right, accordingly to one old timer I know. I am glad the old days are gone,

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
oh ya.

Old days

Wood extension ladders
white lead
asbestos in joint compound
wood planks
station wagons
three beer lunches
trade embargo with China (no China bristles)
linseed oil primer - 48 hour dry

sure, GREAT times

Reactions: Marion

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
oh ya.

Old days

Wood extension ladders
white lead
asbestos in joint compound
wood planks
station wagons
three beer lunches
trade embargo with China (no China bristles)
linseed oil primer - 48 hour dry

sure, GREAT times
Bill, you totally nailed my first father-in-law. He came over from Germany after the war and got into painting and was totally old school. Always drove a station wagon, all wood extension ladders, still even had some white lead in the garage! Got a chance to help him out on a job or two in 90-91 before he passed away. He was a "painters painter" and a good man to boot.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Bill, you totally nailed my first father-in-law. He came over from Germany after the war and got into painting and was totally old school. Always drove a station wagon, all wood extension ladders, still even had some white lead in the garage! Got a chance to help him out on a job or two in 90-91 before he passed away. He was a "painters painter" and a good man to boot.

and he burned his pots out in the drive way ?

Mixed his own colors?

Did he hang also?

a buck a roll?

cooked the wheat paste up the night before? (from wheat flour)

the old schoolers had it all under control, with the work ethic that made the WORLD a better place (after a few little political differences were settled ;) ).

·
Registered
10,569 Posts

Mixed his own colors?
Yep.

Did he hang also?
Yep. My first experience working the boards was with him. Taught me how to "properly" wash paste off the table.

a buck a roll?
More than likely.

Not when I was with him.

the old schoolers had it all under control, with the work ethic that made the WORLD a better place (after a few little political differences were settled ;) ).
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Bill. :yes:

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
In the old days before rollers you brushed all your walls. Probably did not see to many 2" brushes then.
I remember working with old timers who had brushed walls. As if the invention of the roller wasn't bad enough, they were absolutely horrified by the airless. A tool to made to steal work from men who were trying to feed their families.

·
Administrator
20,033 Posts
My grandfather was an architect and builder back in the old days. He died of the flu in 1931 when my dad was ten. My dad told me how he remembered helping his dad make his own paint for the outside and inside of the buildings he was constructing. In 1962, when we moved to the city where we now live, there were still a few old Shell service stations (not operating) in town that my grandfather had designed and built in the twenties. Wish I had known enough at the time to go take pictures of them. They were demolished soon after.

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
I remember when using oil- base instead of cleaning the brushes at the end of the day we would soak the brushes in water till they were needed again. Worked great and did not have all the used thinners to worry about. Have not seen anyone do it in years.

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
I remember when using oil- base instead of cleaning the brushes at the end of the day we would soak the brushes in water till they were needed again. Worked great and did not have all the used thinners to worry about. Have not seen anyone do it in years.
We still do that when using oil impervo. And sometimes exterior oil primer.

·
misha
43 Posts
Originally Posted by daArch

Yes -I did in old Country 1974-1976

Mixed his own colors?
Yep.

Did he hang also?
Yep. My first experience working the boards was with him. Taught me how to "properly" wash paste off the table.

a buck a roll?
More than likely.

no - just hours before
Also - This would be unbelievable - nailed fur on wood handmade rollers

1 - 20 of 40 Posts