Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 327 Posts

· repaintpro
971 Posts
You cut in the same way I do. You leave the walls cut slightly short of ceiling and cornice and take the skirting slightly onto walls........love the attention to detail and accuracy around the cornice.

Had another look...........very, very nice work. You would be the only painter I have seen work of and actually gone wow with their cutting in ( I am not saying others don't exist I just have not seen them) . Great work!!!!!!!!

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You cut in the same way I do. You leave the walls cut slightly short of ceiling and cornice and take the skirting slightly onto walls........love the attention to detail and accuracy around the cornice.

Had another look...........very, very nice work. You would be the only painter I have seen work of and actually gone wow with their cutting in ( I am not saying others don't exist I just have not seen them) . Great work!!!!!!!!
Thanks man. :)

· Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
Watch those photos end up on Google next to the Panda Bear and the garage sale :censored:

Those are some "before" photos I took of the previous painters final product on a job I did a couple years ago. :eek: Pretty sad huh? I guess he is no longer in business :no:

· repaintpro
971 Posts
Watch those photos end up on Google next to the Panda Bear and the garage sale :censored:

Those are some "before" photos I took of the previous painters final product on a job I did a couple years ago. :eek: Pretty sad huh? I guess he is no longer in business :no:
It can make a proper painter look good. Obviously it was the masking tapes fault and not the painter, anyone can see that lol

Your right about the images ending up next to your name. Mine has some very different images down the page :eek:

· Registered
674 Posts
Wutari, Beautiful!

It's nice to see professional painters that can strike lines and they turn out as nice as that.:thumbup:

We will bring the trim line onto the wall when conditions are ideal, unfortunately we cannot do that a lot thanks to the carpenters who use a tube of caulk to straighten out there shoddy miter cuts.:(

Bringing the ceiling color onto the wall is not common around here, how far down are you on the wall?

· A Brush Above
4,682 Posts
It's easier to do tape prep that way if you do walls first. You don't have as many outside 90 degree tape angles to cut. If you can't run a clean tape line on a ceiling (when walls go last) you have minor flow issues bridging the corner. It's more fool proof and allows you to tape faster the way Rob and Wutari do it, I just like tight on trim band and ceiling myself. It's cleaner IMO, but if you can't keep a tight line, it can be unforgiving visually.

· PinheadsUnite
30,726 Posts
And I hate it when the bottom edge of the crown is painted wall color, and then when I paper the wall, the HO asks me if I should have papered that 3/8" edge. For some reason they don't like blue wallpaper, white trim, and a pink edge of the crown.

That's what she gets for hiring a lazy painter.

· Retired Moderator
10,540 Posts
Just some simple work ... done right.
Nice work. Your middle photo brings up a question that comes up often with our clients. Almost universally, they want the edges of the exterior trim painted the trim color, not the wall color. Doing that has an obvious impact on the amount of hand work that is involved and I wondered how other contractors deal with it. Around here, only the faces of the trim are usually painted in the trim color and I've been curious is that the case in other markets as well.

· Registered
3,840 Posts
Nice work. Your middle photo brings up a question that comes up often with our clients. Almost universally, they want the edges of the exterior trim painted the trim color, not the wall color. Doing that has an obvious impact on the amount of hand work that is involved and I wondered how other contractors deal with it. Around here, only the faces of the trim are usually painted in the trim color and I've been curious is that the case in other markets as well.
For me it would depend on the edge - in that photo I would just face it off like he did. I think it would look a little goofy if you had a zigzag line there. All edges where they are straight get the trim color.

Pat

· Retired Moderator
10,540 Posts
For me it would depend on the edge - in that photo I would just face it off like he did. I think it would look a little goofy if you had a zigzag line there. All edges where they are straight get the trim color.

Pat
Thanks. Nearly all of the exteriors around here have clapboards, so the edges have that pattern. That's the part that requires so much hand work. The clients really like the look and like that the trim "pops" visually.

· Registered
116 Posts
PatsPainting said:

Pat
That one is specific to the siding. However on flat vertical surfaces like t1-11 or interior it would be trimmed out 100%. However it depends on the client. She really likes that look and I've used the same style on another property of hers.

I dunno if its a regional preference though.

1 - 20 of 327 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.