Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if the PPg low voc breakthrough isn't good for kitchen cabinets than nothing is. All I have to choose from is big box stores and Benjamin moore so I am out of luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The word is the low voc version isnt as good. That is all I can get in Canada i think. I know the Advance yellows and people on here say the Inslx mars.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Sorry to say you aren't going to find a good cabinet paint in the box stores and probably not even in the stocked "regular" paint stores either.

You need to be looking into the high grade finishes and industrial type coatings. Ask yourself this, do cabinet manufacturers that ship out their products by the thousands every day use regular latex paint as their medium and choice of product?

The answer is no, they do not. It would be a disaster for them with scratches, nicks/dings, etc. A baked on finish or other high end finishes are utilized instead. I've looked at a few "paint" grade finishes from cab companies and you can't hardly even scratch the stuff. A regular latex paint isn't even close to an apple/apple comparison.

I'd head over to a real paint store, whatever is available in your area, and really talk to them. See what products they have available from a more industrial standpoint.

These products will separate you from the joe bloe painter looking to put killz/guards on followed by a top coat of an enamel paint. Night and day difference in finishes. ;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Get you some generalfinishes white poly from Amazon. My current favorite. I would put it in the pigmented lacquer category vs paint. I spray it with an HVLP.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I just did a set with scuff x. Totally happy with it and so is the customer. Bm product. Smooth, dries fast and hard. It's not a conversion varnish though in the right situation lenmar conversion varnish is bomb imo.
But for paint grade cabs, scuff x should be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I just did a set with scuff x. Totally happy with it and so is the customer. Bm product. Smooth, dries fast and hard. It's not a conversion varnish though in the right situation lenmar conversion varnish is bomb imo.
But for paint grade cabs, scuff x should be just fine.

Do you think Scuff-X is better than Breakthrough? Harder finish? Does it run on verticals? it would be nice to use a wooden hangar and spray both sides at once. I just built a PVC spray rack for just that purpose. Some painter on YouTube showed how to build it. It was simple to build and can be broken down for storage and portability.

Would spraying "Stays Clear" poly from BM make the Scuff-X even tougher? The General finishes poly is good too. I've never top-coated paint with a poly before.

One thing I don't like about Advance is it doesn't roll well. It leaves a stipple and doesn't level out when rolling the boxes. Cabinet Coat leaves a texture too.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Personally, for what we do, I'm totally happy with scuff x. Ez to maintain, ez to spray, roll, cut whatever. Lays down nice with no extender and a good open time.
Of the products available, I prefer it. I can't use a 16hr recoat product and 9 times put of 10, I can't use solvents or otherwise super smelly stuff. I like how hard it gets a d it does it pretty quickly...i was surprised at the 24 he mark. I wouldn't put a clear coat over it...i don't think it needs it. It's about 10 times the product pro classic is.
I do like breakthrough on the couple sets I did but it has caveats that I'm just not into. And the learning curve for spraying it was frustrating....
And the price is right (on scuff x) to boot!

·
Super Moderator
6,863 Posts
My concern with the scuffx is how it holds up to handling long term. I've found that most latex paints tend to get gummy around heavily used areas of doors then scratch off. I know breakthrough doesn't but as you said learning how to spray it is not fun. I've found its best sprayed with a 308.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My concern with the scuffx is how it holds up to handling long term. I've found that most latex paints tend to get gummy around heavily used areas of doors then scratch off. I know breakthrough doesn't but as you said learning how to spray it is not fun. I've found its best sprayed with a 308.

When referring to PPG Breakthrough I wish people would say which VOC version they are using. They are two totally different products in my opinion.

Every single Canadian painter (and California) can only buy the low VOC version which is not good for cabinets.

·
Super Moderator
6,863 Posts
When referring to PPG Breakthrough I wish people would say which VOC version they are using. They are two totally different products in my opinion.

Every single Canadian painter (and California) can only buy the low VOC version which is not good for cabinets.
I use the good stuff, although from what I understand the only difference I that the higher VOC version adheres slightly better.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I feel ya. I dunno how it's gonna wear down the road, but it definitely has a much harder finish than proclassic or something like it...meh. long enough to out last the warranty if nothing else!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I feel ya. I dunno how it's gonna wear down the road, but it definitely has a much harder finish than proclassic or something like it...meh. long enough to out last the warranty if nothing else!

Are you refering to proclassic oil or the acrylic proclassic. I still use the oil but would like to find a waterbased to replace it I just have never found one I was happy with. Breakthrough was until the lower voc version. I have had trouble with advanced staying soft and sticky too long especially in darker colors.

I have tried a couple of the waterbased industrial paints frp, sherwin williams but never been to happy with them either. I was hoping to try scuff x and see if it did the trick as the local BM store started carrying it. I would like to try cabinet coat but no one carries it near me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
....it's like breakthrough has hit hard times on painttalk...
As soon as it's brought up, there is a deep wail from the bellows of all painters.

But why can't we just have the high voc version??:vs_sob:

low voc version in NJ is just fine. Adheres to BIN well. My fingernails are hard as a rock and they dent the wood (and paint) together. Meaning the paint doesn't come off.

Great to hear some news on the scuff-x. It won't be put in my HVLP anytime soon, but might consider switching things up and trying airless on a set later in the year.

·
Super Moderator
6,863 Posts
....it's like breakthrough has hit hard times on painttalk...
As soon as it's brought up, there is a deep wail from the bellows of all painters.

But why can't we just have the high voc version??:vs_sob:

low voc version in NJ is just fine. Adheres to BIN well. My fingernails are hard as a rock and they dent the wood (and paint) together. Meaning the paint doesn't come off.

Great to hear some news on the scuff-x. It won't be put in my HVLP anytime soon, but might consider switching things up and trying airless on a set later in the year.
Most of the time the higher VOC version adheres so well without a primer you dent the wood before getting it to scratch off. The low VOC is just fine, not as good worth using especially over a solvent based primer. I bet it still adheres better than most latex adhesion primers (I don't trust those).

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Oil is king.the end.
I was referring to the pc hybrid and the acrylic. Both pale in comparison.

That being said we are forced to adjust to new technology regardless of its inferiority. It sucks.
All I have is my own experiences, and those tell me scuff x is a great product for my everyday needs.

Give it a try! Just paint door or something in it and decide for yourself.
Personally, I don't have time for advance and apparently acrylic impervo is crappy compared to this.
Are you refering to proclassic oil or the acrylic proclassic. I still use the oil but would like to find a waterbased to replace it I just have never found one I was happy with. Breakthrough was until the lower voc version. I have had trouble with advanced staying soft and sticky too long especially in darker colors.

I have tried a couple of the waterbased industrial paints frp, sherwin williams but never been to happy with them either. I was hoping to try scuff x and see if it did the trick as the local BM store started carrying it. I would like to try cabinet coat but no one carries it near me.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
My BM manager told me Cabinet Coat will be made available in a deep base soon. I love that product.

He also said a local painter loves using BM Corotech on cabinets, self priming, fast dry oil and its super tough.

I used Advance on 3 sets of cabinets lately, with tremendously happy clients. 2 of 3 were deep base color.

The cabinet maker that I painted for, says when he paints his stuff he goes with ML Cambell pre cat pigmented lacquer. custom made batches avail in any color.

Just some random info

Here's a couple of my recents

Attachments

1 - 20 of 179 Posts