Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've encountered a new problem and I'd love the answer without having to hope to wishful thinking. I recently purchased a gallon of Zinsser "Alkyd" Primer. Two things: (A) Alkyd has always meant 'oil' to me, and (B) Not only is this some new hybrid oil/water product, but they are placing it in the same color can as the former 'oil' primer choice, so if you're not paying attention to assume it's oil and not water, (should be in a new third color to differentiate quickly - really fries me!!)

Anyway, I didn't realize this, (until I attempted to make a split prime, 1/2 paint | 1/2 primer and completely ruined that batch!

Anyway, before that I managed to use the primer on my project, but now the question is - can i put oil finish over this or must it be latex, or, for that matter, but it be oil and not latex?

Simply put, can I put latex or oil on top or this, of does it have to be one or the other - which one?

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
I'd contact your Zinsser rep for the best answer. I'd only be guessing on that one, and I think you want some solid technical advise for this situation.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Leave the primer and paint mixing to those who know how to do it. Most of today's paints they say has primer in it. Why would you try to mix your own paint & primer.

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
Leave the primer and paint mixing to those who know how to do it. Most of today's paints they say has primer in it. Why would you try to mix your own paint & primer.
Split coating is as old as the hills. Its not DIY. Its also not the marketing hype products either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts