Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I live there are not too many tile roofs, but I'm sure I will encounter a few.

What is the best way to go about working on a tile roof?

I am concerned about breaking tiles, and having to pay for costly repairs.

I am mostly concerned about the curved tile, it looks like it would break easily when stepped on.

Depending on the pitch of the roof tile also appears very slippery, how do you deal with that?

What about harnessing up on a tile roof?

·
Registered
615 Posts
We use tile roof pads that you can make.
Take a 4x2 piece of ply wood and glue a 2.5" piece of sponge under it and bam you are done. you can also screw down strips of 1x2 for traction. You can drill them for straps and attach them to chimneys etc.

Here is a pic if found online. IMO the sponge does not need to be this thick

Attachments

·
house painter
2,333 Posts
yes you can walk on them,,,its done every day across the globe. i do like the pad idea for some tasks. chicken ladders come in handy also,,,,google chicken ladder. also, there are many types of clay tiles,,,,,i have a feeling aaron sees a lot of barrel tiles (hence the mortar where they overlap) the ludowici spanish style tiles are walked on where they overlap,,,thats where they are strongest. also be careful especially around the pcs near ridges, those are trickier to replace than field tile. there are many systems out there. (i have these on my house and work on them frequently)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts