Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys... I am bidding a current job that requires the painting of four standard size bedrooms, along with family room and hallway. I figure two coats walls, trim (semi gloss), and one coat on ceilings. How many days should I figure this to take me and one other person. This is my first decent size job, and I am billing by the hour ($35.00) not by sq. ft. I am going to log my hours for future reference, and would like advice on how long people think this might take.

·
Paint to ride!
230 Posts
Hey Guys... I am bidding a current job that requires the painting of four standard size bedrooms, along with family room and hallway. I figure two coats walls, trim (semi gloss), and one coat on ceilings. How many days should I figure this to take me and one other person. This is my first decent size job, and I am billing by the hour ($35.00) not by sq. ft. I am going to log my hours for future reference, and would like advice on how long people think this might take.
Sounds like around 35 hr, should bid it at 40 hr x $50.00 p.h. plus materials, I was getting $35.00 p.h. 12 years ago:whistling2:
BPTL

·
4,698 Posts
Should take about 5 to 7 days without major prep. work. Thats working 8 hour days.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you are going to work hourly, there is nothing to worry about.
Just log your hours and go from there.

I prefer to give my clients a written Est/Bid because my hours start when i load / unload my truck.

·
Super Moderator
6,466 Posts
come on now Ben, every market is different...
I have to disagree with that statement. Unless you show me that you live in a town where gas is $1.50 per gallon, bread is 25¢ a loaf, and doctors still make house calls, I don't think location has that much of a drastic effect on pricing. Can I buy a new pick up truck there for 15k? Didn't think so. This 'going rate' thing, and 'what the market will bear in my area' is a fallacy and resides in one's head only.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Standard Size, like 10X12?
Colors?
Where's the furniture for the rooms?
Ground floor only, no upstairs?
8', 10',12', or high vaults?
Carpet,Tile or hardwood floors?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I agree with prowallguy. Going rates are junk - I am helping out this woman contractor - and we were doing this residential repaint of a dining room with crown moulding, nasty bay $700 for the labor! We were there, the both of us for like 4 days - which included painting some other windows in several other rooms at an extra price. But I was like, you have to charge more. And she said they won't pay more. And I know with that attitude - you will go out of business. There is no such thing as what the market will bear. You can't run a residential repainting business and charge $20-$25/man-hour. No matter how expensive homeowners think jobs are when properly priced at double those rates - unless you charge charge charge, you will go out of business.

·
4,698 Posts
Standard Size, like 10X12?
Colors?
Where's the furniture for the rooms?
Ground floor only, no upstairs?
8', 10',12', or high vaults?
Carpet,Tile or hardwood floors?
I agree with Ken, need more info to really help with estimation. Toss out some more details and maybe some of us can help.

·
Paint to ride!
230 Posts
I have to disagree with that statement. Unless you show me that you live in a town where gas is $1.50 per gallon, bread is 25¢ a loaf, and doctors still make house calls, I don't think location has that much of a drastic effect on pricing. Can I buy a new pick up truck there for 15k? Didn't think so. This 'going rate' thing, and 'what the market will bear in my area' is a fallacy and resides in one's head only.
I wonce knew a painter that saw an add in the paper stating, I will paint any room for $50.00, he was ready to give up painting , how was he to compete with pricing like that!:eek: I told him to not even consider any add like that a threat, idiots like that are out of business before they did there first room, and if a home owner would even answer such an add it is not a client you would want any way. Go on get your price and stay in business, low ballers get lucky once in a while and beat your price, it happens every where, keep on selling your self as the pro you are and get your price.

Ben

·
Paint to ride!
230 Posts
come on now Ben, every market is different...
I went to Texas last Winter fron New York and I did some painting , interior and exterior, I bid the same rate there per day as here and I got the same amount of jobs , I average 40 % of what I bid on. I found it to be considerably cheaper to live as far as housing costs and gas ,food clothing about the same, I believe in most large citys across the nation the pricing is close to the same at least for home owners that want a true pro paint job and expect to pay for that professionalism.

Ben

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
We are in Vermont where $30-35 is where most of us max out. I just hired a guy from Boston who worked for a firm that charged $50-60 in that market. We also talk to lots of people on this board and through PDCA who are in the 60's in larger metropolitan areas. I'm afraid its reality. Granted our state is about the worst in the nation in terms of cost of living v. income...

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
We are in Vermont where $30-35 is where most of us max out.
That is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you believe that $X is the most you can charge, you won't try to charge more. And if you don't try to charge more, you have established the limit, not your customers.

Higher prices require higher value. If you offer more value to your customers, they will pay. However, if your company and the job you propose look the same as everyone else, the customer will go with the lower price. Why should they pay more for the same value?

Convenience stores are a simple example. Their prices are generally higher, but they offer a value-- convenience-- that consumers are willing to pay for.

I doubt anyone reading this has a Yugo for a work vehicle. Why not? You could pull a trailer loaded with equipment and get to the job. A Yugo provides the same basic function as a truck or van. But the truck or van offers values that the Yugo doesn't, such as dependability, convenience, comfort, etc.

There are many ways a contractor can offer more value-- accept credit cards, propose a better job, educate your customers, etc. Customer will pay for these values if you offer them.

Brian Phillips

1 - 20 of 28 Posts