Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Somebody I am very close to (and not on the forums ) is one of the most hospitible, niceset persons you'd meet. Until they try to help you. They mean well, but don't see how the application of help ailienates, frustrates and just plain pisses you off.

Then they think you are hard headed, won't listen and are a jerk.

People generally mean well. We just don't see our methods (or posts in this case) as insulting, because that is not what we were trying to accomplish.

Often, I think one posters "help" is another posters "flame".

(am I profound today or what?)
Ah you speak volumes. AND to add another class of "helpful people", some people are just born onery, like "sh!tmyfathersays" . They can't ask if you are feeling well without it sounding like an accusation. :whistling2:

I obviously have a few freinds in NYC and surrounding boroughs. Their greetings are so peppered with profanities it's tough to tell they are happy to see you.

People are funny.

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Add another estimator. Add another field supervisor.Get a stable crew of 15. Join Chamber of Commerce.Do 2 trade shows.Take a vacation with my beautiful wife!
Big plans. I like it!

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I like the specific and measurable goals some have posted. I think this could be a great resource for setting goals for the future.
I am not asking anyone to post numbers, but tangible, realistic things you plan to implement in the following year.
If you do not want to post your goals, fine, but please stay on topic.
Let's not get bogged down in the past, I'd like this to be a thread to look at next year and see where we are.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Learn from all of the mistakes I have made this year. Be careful not to forget all of the mistakes I made in the years before that. I have a money goal. Do more estimates thru email to give me more time to think instead of producing my bids on the spot. No more big exspensive phonebook ads. Be crafty and target certain areas to get my name where I want it. Not looking to add more guys. A three guy crew including myself is fine with me. Go above and beyond for my customers, just little things. Today I did some extra caulking around some cracked bathroom tile even though I am not painting that area.Oh, and further perfect my ability to acheive One Coat Coverage.

·
Painting Contractor
173 Posts
My goal is to always be working on high value activities, ones that move you forward.

You always have to deal with your clients, fight your fires and do what needs to be done in any business but keep in mind that most of us only spend 10 to 20% of our time working on the activities that generate 80-90% % of our income.

Make a list of the things you should be doing that will have the biggest impact on your business and work on them as often as you can.

Learn to delegate everything you can. I always thought that I was the only one who could do certain tasks propertly(low or medium value activities) but in reality I could delegate them to someone else and concentrate on much higher value activities that only I can do.

Constantly ask yourself if what you are doing right now is the best use of your time. ie does it make financial sense for you to go pick up a gallon at the paint store if you can get one of your workers at $30 an hour to pick it up and you spend your time calling new clients and booking a new job.

·
Freedom Maker
119 Posts
* 99% Customer Satisfaction(I understand there may be a few people out there I just can't please, and I need to understand that 100% may not be possible.
* Add 1 new "Associate" this year(this is someone that handles an inquiry from start to finish( estimates, closes, and produces work)
* Profitable Growth (like others, won't share numbers now)
* Maintain a $40 or less cost per inquiry
* Maintain a 70% Inquiry to Estimate Ratio, a 30% closing ratio, and a $2500 ave. job size
* Disciplined Job Costing and maintain my desired GP%

·
Painting Contractor
2,565 Posts
Increase net profit (sales too)
Job cost within 50-55%
Perfect our new Fixed Compensation and Bonus Bank system.
Hire some amazing people/painters
Complete our Environmental Policies Manual and stick to these policies.
Keep up and stay ahead with Internet Marketing. You can be a pioneer in your head and turn into a dinosaur before you know it!
Get COMPASE (Commercial Painting) off the ground with a vengeance
and then let go to capable hands.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
i think if we started a thread on "who would work for most on PT" GZ name would on the top most often... sounds like great plan George and just think national healthcare to boot ;)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am going to say. Grow add 2 employees add at least 2 new Gcs That I see as a fit to my busniess model . Incease my sales volume .Increase marketing presence.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts