1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) All painters are not equal.
2) Check 3 to 5 references.
3) Ask for a painter recommendation at your local paint store
4) Beware of the switch to low-end paint.
5) Buy the paint yourself.
6) Just because your friend had a good experience, doesn't mean the painter is good.

There is a huge difference in painters' skill levels, knowledge and professionalism. Often times people remark that ABC Painter is expensive while XYZ Painter is cheap. Most of the time there is a reasonable explanation for the prices painters charge; and sorry to say, usually the more expensive painter is the one who knows what they are doing. Inexperienced painters don't know how to adequately factor in all their costs and therefore price the job inaccurately. When this happens, the customers pays the price because the painter has to rush off the job, will use low quality materials and/or will NEVER return your phone calls or return to the job if there is a problem.

2) Check 3 to 5 painter references.

Ask the painter to speak to 3 to 5 of their customers that they did in the last 6 months. If they cannot supply this to you, then don't hire them.

3) Ask for a painter recommendation from your local paint store

A great place to ask for painter recommendations is your local paint store. They will have a great perspective on the painter's professionalism, skill and quality level. They see the products the painter buys, how they speak about their customers, whether or not they pay their own bills and if they know what they are doing.

We hear all the time how painters use low-grade product in people's homes, and the customer unfortunately has no idea. This is really sad because the cost difference to the customer between the best and worst paints is relatively small, but the difference in quality and how well it will last in your home is gigantic. The painter low balls the bid (or even-worse, they don't low ball) and in return buys the cheapest paint. Have the painter specify the specific paint product they will be using. It is not enough for them to just specify the brand (paint manufacturer). Every major paint brand makes several grades of paint. For example, Benjamin Moore makes Super Hide which retails for $12/gallon and Aura which retails for $54.99. They both say Benjamin Moore, but the difference in quality and performance would be similar to the difference between a Hyundai to a Porsche.

The best way to ensure you get the best paint is to buy it yourself. Just ask the painter to give you a bid for time and materials and then you supply the paint. The painter will tell you how much paint to get. Another advantage of this is that the paint store will typically track your purchase history and then can look it up for you years later when you need to touch-up. Don't count on your painter to keep track of this for you.

6) Just because your friend had a good experience, doesn't mean the painter is good.

Using the reference of a friend is the most common form of finding a painter. And while sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Your friend may not have had any problems or may not know of any problems they do have. It is fine to consider their recommendation, but make sure you check additional references.​

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but I already own a paint contracting company. ;):whistling2::jester:
Yes, I know. :blink: This is advice I found for hiring a Painting contractor.
I thought some may want to elaborate on this info!

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll keep that in mind for the next time I hire a paint contractor.
This is from an online source. I was wondering how contractors feel regarding this advice??? Do you agree with what the article is saying?

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
This is from an online source. I was wondering how contractors feel regarding this advice??? Do you agree with what the article is saying?
As a contractor, I want to provide all materials to insure the quality my customers deserve. I'm not going to leave it up to the HO to decide what a good paint is, as my standards will be higher.

Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with the advise given.

·
Super Moderator
7,024 Posts
PhillysFinest said:
I was just kidding around, I didn't really know what type of response you were looking for. I agree with that advice and I also have a similar article on my website.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts

3- This would prove nothing.. So what you pay your paint bill.. if you don't your account will be shut down. Most paint stores are in the retail business, not the business of inspecting their customers jobs. Painters who buy the most paint get the most referrals in my neck of the woods.

4) The customer should know what they are getting before they hire a painter. Paint specs should be clarified in the contract. If a switch is made, there should be some serious issues.

5) Buy the paint yourself? Are you serious? So if it is 2:15 pm and i need another gallon because i didn't want to over purchase paint, and the home owner is at work do I wait for them to get home? Do I call them at work? Do I end up buying the paint?

I run a full service paint company thank you. I will show up to a job with all the required material and manpower needed to comlete the job. I dont supply labour only, and I am not at the mercy of my clients.

Sorry, IMO its a silly checklist.

·
Delco, Pa
1,176 Posts
I am surprised it didn't say, "Do the painting yourself. You will save money."

If you want a professional job, then let the professionals do what they do and provide the paint.
If a pro is switching and buying low end paint to save money, they won't be in business too long.

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct - I am one of the best in the business and deliver 100% customer satisfaction on every job!
Meaningless - A person will only give their best references, that are 100% satisfied.
Meaningless - The paint store does not come to my job sites.
If you go with the cheapy cheap painter, shame on you, I hope he gives you hardware store cheapy cheap paint.
Be my guest. But you can only buy the paint that I aprove and you must have paint on the job site @ start date.
Correct - your friend may not even know what true quality looks like to begin with!

Reactions: elvinpw

·
Administrator
20,265 Posts
Meaningless - A person will only give their best references, that are 100% satisfied.
Correct - your friend may not even know what true quality looks like to begin with!
Sorry, but I have to disagree with your outright dismissals of #2 and #3. If you don't have other people out there saying good things about you, or who are willing to share their positive experiences concerning you and your work, then you're going lose out on a lot of quality jobs.

Offering only three references (and never updating those) would be somewhat pointless but I always offer a list of ten references and if they want more, I'll give em' more. I tend to include people I know will be fairly easy to reach, are willing to talk to a potential customer of mine, whose projects have included a variety of painting needs, and who are more than satisfied with my work. Of course I wouldn't give them the name of somebody who had been dissatisfied with my work - who would? But I rarely have one of those. And if they are unhappy about something - I'll make it right. Also, the people on my referral list are fairly well known in town so when other people see their names on my list they usually feel pretty comfortable knowing I have them as a reference. I also provide clients with a portfolio to view with pictures and testimonials. But again, that's just another format for references.

Actually, my suppliers do visit my work sites fairly often to deliver paint so they do get to see my work. Besides, if they were to refer me and I did a crappy job then they would be almost certain to hear about it. I encourage people who were referred by my suppliers to provide them with feedback. I want them to hear about my work from the people they've referred me to. Maybe I just have a different type of relationship with my suppliers than most other have with theirs but mine have been some of the best sources of referrals I have and I work hard to keep it that way (and I'm far from being a "big buyer").

As for #6. Yeah, it's true that some people will not be able to recognize quality work from that which is inferior. But they will recognize someone who is a jerk. Doesn't do what they say they were going to do. Doesn't show up when they say they will. Leaves the job site a mess. Or someone who does a really bad job. People want to hear positive things about you and your business from people they know and whose opinions they trust. It's a way to gain contacts with solid potential customers and that gives you the opportunity to meet with them to explain how you will help them reach their goals, and sell them on the value of your services and the quality of your work. There is no way I will downplay the value of word of mouth referrals. For me they are pure gold.

No single one of these can be the main source for getting leads. But as a group, they can be valuable for obtaining quality potential jobs. IMO to dismiss them as meaningless is a mistake.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts

3- This would prove nothing.. So what you pay your paint bill.. if you don't your account will be shut down. Most paint stores are in the retail business, not the business of inspecting their customers jobs. Painters who buy the most paint get the most referrals in my neck of the woods.

4) The customer should know what they are getting before they hire a painter. Paint specs should be clarified in the contract. If a switch is made, there should be some serious issues.

5) Buy the paint yourself? Are you serious? So if it is 2:15 pm and i need another gallon because i didn't want to over purchase paint, and the home owner is at work do I wait for them to get home? Do I call them at work? Do I end up buying the paint?:eek:

I run a full service paint company thank you. I will show up to a job with all the required material and manpower needed to comlete the job. I dont supply labour only, and I am not at the mercy of my clients.

Sorry, IMO its a silly checklist.
All are stupid, # 5 is just beyond words:blink:

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
Correct - I am one of the best in the business and deliver 100% customer satisfaction on every job!
If you go with the cheapy cheap painter, shame on you, I hope he gives you hardware store cheapy cheap paint.
Be my guest. But you can only buy the paint that I aprove and you must have paint on the job site @ start date.

really? and just who made that decision? you?:blink::laughing:

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 37 Posts