Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
really? and just who made that decision? you?:blink::laughing:

I did a job last month where the HO told me another guy that looked at the project kept blabing on about how good he was. His bid got tossed in the trash because of that.

Pat

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I did a job last month where the HO told me another guy that looked at the project kept blabing on about how good he was. His bid got tossed in the trash because of that.

Pat
But when you have 32 years experience as a painter, and 22 years experience as an estimator under your belt, then present yourself with confidence, intelligence and have the credentials to back it up, that separates the men from the boys! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry, but I have to disagree with your outright dismissals of #2 and #3. If you don't have other people out there saying good things about you, or who are willing to share their positive experiences concerning you and your work, then you're going lose out on a lot of quality jobs.

Offering only three references (and never updating those) would be somewhat pointless but I always offer a list of ten references and if they want more, I'll give em' more. I tend to include people I know will be fairly easy to reach, are willing to talk to a potential customer of mine, whose projects have included a variety of painting needs, and who are more than satisfied with my work. Of course I wouldn't give them the name of somebody who had been dissatisfied with my work - who would? But I rarely have one of those. And if they are unhappy about something - I'll make it right. Also, the people on my referral list are fairly well known in town so when other people see their names on my list they usually feel pretty comfortable knowing I have them as a reference. I also provide clients with a portfolio to view with pictures and testimonials. But again, that's just another format for references.

Actually, my suppliers do visit my work sites fairly often to deliver paint so they do get to see my work. Besides, if they were to refer me and I did a crappy job then they would be almost certain to hear about it. I encourage people who were referred by my suppliers to provide them with feedback. I want them to hear about my work from the people they've referred me to. Maybe I just have a different type of relationship with my suppliers than most other have with theirs but mine have been some of the best sources of referrals I have and I work hard to keep it that way (and I'm far from being a "big buyer").

As for #6. Yeah, it's true that some people will not be able to recognize quality work from that which is inferior. But they will recognize someone who is a jerk. Doesn't do what they say they were going to do. Doesn't show up when they say they will. Leaves the job site a mess. Or someone who does a really bad job. People want to hear positive things about you and your business from people they know and whose opinions they trust. It's a way to gain contacts with solid potential customers and that gives you the opportunity to meet with them to explain how you will help them reach their goals, and sell them on the value of your services and the quality of your work. There is no way I will downplay the value of word of mouth referrals. For me they are pure gold.

No single one of these can be the main source for getting leads. But as a group, they can be valuable for obtaining quality potential jobs. IMO to dismiss them as meaningless is a mistake.
I am looking at things from the customers perspective. Not the painters!
Sure, for us, the contractor, referrals from customers and paint stores are the keys to success. For that matter, if a 12 y/o kid said to his parents, "Tommy's mom and dad are having their house painted by XYZ painters", and the parents called the company, boom -- its all good!

But my point is, if the customer is getting prices for painting and they ask XYZ painters for a few references, and XYZ company gives them John Smith and Jane Doe, these reference hold no weight as far as I am concerned. These are people the customer does not know, and they do not know what quality standards they may hold. Also, my paint store does not go to my job sites, therefore, asking my paint supplier if they would recommend me, would not be effective or an accurate gauge of my painting skills or the end product they will receive!

Reactions: mudbone

·
TDS Quality Painting
55 Posts
Why would any contractor have the customers buy the paint?? Not enough there, no mark up, colors not matching. I do not understand one thing about this post. The best painters are not always the best at running a business I guess.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Why would any contractor have the customers buy the paint??
I can only think of a few.

1. Because the contractor is flat broke and might be lucky to have 10 dollars to their name.

2. They owe money to all the local paint stores and are not welcome anymore till they pay their balance.

Pat

·
17,849 Posts

1. Because the contractor is flat broke and might be lucky to have 10 dollars to their name.

2. They owe money to all the local paint stores and are not welcome anymore till they pay their balance.

Pat
lmao

I would also add...

Once or twice a year on average of my business I run across a customer that has either already purchased the paint or is very adamant on what paint to use, sometimes it is either bear (purposely spelled wrong because why give them web credits) or a BM or SW product. With these people they either read the consumer reports or were stuck on a brand and I usually try to accommodate to their needs if they are a right fit and when it is a bear product I add to the total proposal due to using bear.

I had a guy last year on a job that was very adamant about bear and he was willing to pay a premium and my pushing of Aura was falling on deaf ears even though I painted his next door neighbors using Aura and that is why he wanted to use me but he was adamant about bear so I add a little bit and gave him what he wanted and made it look great, in fact I did some other work for him early this year because he liked the final product and my punctual work ethic.

Another thing to add is that I run into military discounts (which there are a lot of military upper ranks in this area) from customers which the HD offers so they want to buy the paint thinking they are saving but when ever I hear bear I add to the total.

So to add to the list a made up his mind customer that still does not mind paying for a solid service and or military discounts.

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Why would any contractor have the customers buy the paint?? Not enough there, no mark up, colors not matching. I do not understand one thing about this post. The best painters are not always the best at running a business I guess.
If you read my original post, it is an artical I found online, that is giving the customer advice! Not a contractor saying, "let the customer buy the paint"!

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
painterguy07 writes: Why would any contractor have the customers buy the paint??

Pat
1. If he was smart, he would get a deposit! and
2. Yea right! BM and SW are large corporations with $10 to $12 per hour guys mixing the paints. Do you really think the employees care?

It works like this, if you have an out standing bill, they tell you, cash and carry!

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
Dave Mac said:
tips for hiring painters are a good thing to supply your potential clients at time of estimate,
The Pdca has a good sell sheet on hiring a contractor. I use it when I leave materials with the HO, and when I'm actually organized enough to have materials with me. I think having the HO buy the paint is a terrible idea.

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I understand where youre coming from Pats Painting - let you're work speak for its self
That would be putting "the cart before the horse"! :jester:

·
Registered
painter
4 Posts
That sounds like a great post. I own a painting company in Winnipeg that does some stucco repair around Canada and I can defiantly relate to your post. Thanks

21 - 37 of 37 Posts