Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,361 Posts
At this moment in my career I'm working for biggest Tug & Barge Company in the Pacific Northwest.

The File Members are all Union. Only a Select few of Management/Rank are Union because they started their careers Union and going for a Pension.

Having a 15 year pin myself and my other half retired Culinary we have a combined 32 years Union.

The particular position I hold is non union but is equal to a Tower Crane Operators Position in Las Vegas.

$62 an hour full package. $83.00 OT.
If you plan on going Big Commercial or Industrial I suggest Union.

Anything less, do your self a favor and keep all the money for yourself.

My motto is it's better to be small & good, than big & bad.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Oden do you if your local is a Strong Union? I went through Boom of the mid 90's in Las Vegas there was a Tradesman Shortage and the Journeyman Test was 8 Questions. So if you could hold a paint brush you were a journeyman.

Back in those days the "Painters" dragged a lot of folks through the mud with them. The "Local" was a big steel ball, and the painters were the chain.

From your posts over the years I know you're a seasoned mechanic. What are you going to do when your putting out twice as much as the next guy and he's getting the same pay?

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Thats fine. for you but most locals in the states work via senority and it is first in last out last in first out. you could be working till blood is pouring out your eyes and the shlub who has three years more then you, that takes 8, 30 min smoke breaks and moves one gallon of paint in eight hours. keeps his job while you get sent packing to the hall.

I'm having a recurring nightmare. Thanks NWP for keeping it real.

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Oden, I belonged to 4 halls in my full time in the bucket career. 286 Riverside CA, 5 Burbank CA, 567 Reno NV & my last 159 Las Vegas. Cali had open Solicitation so you could always stay busy one way or another. NV will help you find a non union job when it's slow. I had a in house job until 9/11 and was cut way back on hours and dragged up! The long haul job is maintenance at a hi rise office building or hotel. All new construction is going to do in the long is give you a good case of paint
burn out in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.