Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
"its easier to pick something up off the ground than from a handle at waist height"

thats your argument
It's not hard to pick up an extension off the floor. It's also not hard to lean one against the wall. The bucket I use holds tons of paint, is very sturdy, easy to carry around, easy to cover for as long as is needed. None of that applies to trays.

But if you like to do things another way, that's fine. Whatever is right for you is...well, whatever is right for you. I'm just sharing how I prefer to do things. You can do the same.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,466 Posts
yellow tray arm, i cannot believe painters kick or bend over to move their paint tray.
Those yellow tray arms are actually really cool. I made fun of them at first, and then one of my workers showed up with one and man it was nice not having to bend over all day to pick your pole up off the ground. The buckets hold alot of paint but I just hate cleaning them and they don't have tray liners..plus I have like 10 of those trays. I just drop a couple off at each job site..

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Am I overthinking this?
When the pole is laying on the ground (in the tray), you just left the end up with your foot and it's right there.

·
Super Moderator
3,466 Posts
Am I overthinking this?
When the pole is laying on the ground (in the tray), you just left the end up with your foot and it's right there.
Ya, but you can also pick the whole tray up with that arm attachment to move around the house.. It's actually pretty cool and I'm not a gadget guy.
Slope Font Rectangle Machine Wood

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Those yellow tray arms are actually really cool. I made fun of them at first, and then one of my workers showed up with one and man it was nice not having to bend over all day to pick your pole up off the ground. The buckets hold alot of paint but I just hate cleaning them and they don't have tray liners..plus I have like 10 of those trays. I just drop a couple off at each job site..
I've never used the arm, but will likely pick one up to try it out for times when I am in a pan. I'm assuming it's golden as people here are vouching for it. (As such, I wasn't picking on anyone for preferring to use them...)

There are plastic bag liners for the Wooster that are not the greatest things, but are cheap and super-easy when it comes to clean-up. Just think a garbage bag liner. At the end of the day, Pick up the bag out of the bucket, clip the lower corner of the bag, and milk the paint back into it's can. Toss the liner - or, as I often do, lay the bag out, fold over the drippy cut corner and wrap up the nap for the next day. I can't remember the last time I cleaned one of those buckets. There are also molded liners for those wooster buckets, but they're kind of expensive and not as easy to recover the unused paint at the end of the day so I don't use them.

As for the pole, I do lean it up on something more often than not. The quick-release systems make it easy to just pop it off and lean it. So there's a small stoop to reattach it to the roller frame each time. But not that bad.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Ya, but you can also pick the whole tray up with that arm attachment to move around the house.. It's actually pretty cool and I'm not a gadget guy. View attachment 113039
Like I said, I think I'mma get one, but I also think I'll spill paint out of the tray every time I pick it up...

Like Holland, btw, I find the foot pickup for the extension to be pretty easy.

·
Super Moderator
3,466 Posts
Like I said, I think I'mma get one, but I also think I'll spill paint out of the tray every time I pick it up...

Like Holland, btw, I find the foot pickup for the extension to be pretty easy.
I still don't own one because I'm a minimalist, but the older I get the better it looks. Stop filling your tray up so full!:p Your right though Joe, on the bigger jobs a bucket is much more economical.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
[edited stuff] Stop filling your tray up so full! [edited stuff]
LOL. My MO if I'm in a tray is a small room (think bathroom-ish) that will only take a gal or less. The gallon can is to be my cut pot (thus no separate pot to clean), so I only want about a quart in the bottom of it and thus need about 3 quarts in the tray. Makes them pretty full! But the alternative is to have a cut pot that's too full for my liking.

Any area larger than a gallon's worth, and I want to be highly mobile and have nice high sides on the roll container to take the slosh while moving it around. And to be able to put multiple gallons in for the roll. Plus a 5 gal bucket gasket and sheet of plastic makes a nice cover when you go to lunch or even overnight if you're just back into it the next day. I've never found a good way to cover a tray.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
LOL. My MO if I'm in a tray is a small room (think bathroom-ish) that will only take a gal or less. The gallon can is to be my cut pot (thus no separate pot to clean), so I only want about a quart in the bottom of it and thus need about 3 quarts in the tray. Makes them pretty full! But the alternative is to have a cut pot that's too full for my liking.

Any area larger than a gallon's worth, and I want to be highly mobile and have nice high sides on the roll container to take the slosh while moving it around. And to be able to put multiple gallons in for the roll. Plus a 5 gal bucket gasket and sheet of plastic makes a nice cover when you go to lunch or even overnight if you're just back into it the next day. I've never found a good way to cover a tray.
we do the same: use the gallon as a cut-bucket, and pour the rest into the tray.
We use all those leftover plastic bags from the grocery store to cover the cut buckets overnight (and sometimes the brushes too), and slide the tray and roller into a small garbage bag.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
When I first saw this thread I never responded (other than, eventually, commenting about the rocks glass) because the list would be so long. Tools I can't live without? All of them! And I'm still missing so many others! But recent events reminded me of simplicity and perspective.

For as long as I can remember when I show up on a any job - interior or exterior; prep time or cut time or roll time or spray time; old or new construction or whatever - I open the tool box and two things immediately come out and go into the
pockets. The 5 in one and a duster brush.

And when I took this pic, it was appropriate - for kevyn's sake - that the sharpie was there on the floor. I just try to keep a few of those everywhere.

Household hardware Wood Gas Art Metal

·
Super Moderator
3,466 Posts
When I first saw this thread I never responded (other than, eventually, commenting about the rocks glass) because the list would be so long. Tools I can't live without? All of them! And I'm still missing so many others! But recent events reminded me of simplicity and perspective.

For as long as I can remember when I show up on a any job - interior or exterior; prep time or cut time or roll time or spray time; old or new construction or whatever - I open the tool box and two things immediately come out and go into the
pockets. The 5 in one and a duster brush.

And when I took this pic, it was appropriate - for kevyn's sake - that the sharpie was there on the floor. I just try to keep a few of those everywhere.

View attachment 113073
Hands down, the basic 5in1 (Not the 9in1 or whatever) is the best tool in my bag. I've eatin my lunch with that thing when I forget my fork. 🤷‍♂️ 😅. And asking to borrow my 5in1 is likely to get you a dirty look.😉

41 - 60 of 78 Posts