Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Flip a dry tray liner over and set it on top. Easy as pie.
Yes, that's what I do. And it is easy. I just don't call it a "good way," especially as compared to what you can do with a bucket (whether a 5 or the 4gal Wooster style). The things fall off the tray (and usually into the paint) if you sneeze in the wrong direction. (But maybe I'm just a klutz). And while it protects from dust/debris falling in, there's no way to put any seal on that like you can with a bucket. I can cover a bucket overnight if needed for the occasions that it makes sense. Heck, with as fast as paints set up these days (and thus can start to skin), I don't like to stop rolling to take a lunch.

And it's not that I don't use trays. I do for smaller spaces - like one ceiling, or one set of bath walls when I won't be in it for too long and don't have to move around a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Yes, that's what I do. And it is easy. I just don't call it a "good way," especially as compared to what you can do with a bucket (whether a 5 or the 4gal Wooster style). The things fall off the tray (and usually into the paint) if you sneeze in the wrong direction. (But maybe I'm just a klutz). And while it protects from dust/debris falling in, there's no way to put any seal on that like you can with a bucket. I can cover a bucket overnight if needed for the occasions that it makes sense. Heck, with as fast as paints set up these days (and thus can start to skin), I don't like to stop rolling to take a lunch.

And it's not that I don't use trays. I do for smaller spaces - like one ceiling, or one set of bath walls when I won't be in it for too long and don't have to move around a lot.
Gas Flooring Wood Bucket Waste

A garbage bag wrapped around the tray, and pressed lightly into the paint (and then thrown away when removed) will keep the paint fresh for about a week. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
A garbage bag wrapped around the tray, and pressed lightly into the paint (and then thrown away when removed) will keep the paint fresh for about a week. Just saying.
Well, I don't have pics, but an oversized wet rag, a piece of plastic and a 5 gallon bucket lid gasket wrapped around the top of a wooster bucket will keep it longer than that, and not leave a drippy wet garbage bag when you uncover it. And then there's the plain old 5 gal bucket with it's lid gasket still intact which will go even longer. I've been all of these routes. We all just choose the ones with which we are personally happiest.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,466 Posts

I usually just cap the tray with another tray. The SIMMS ones. You can leave the roller in the tray also. I've left it like that for a whole weekend with no issue. No need to even wrap your roller sleeve. You just can't leave too much paint in the tray or it will touch the bottom of the other tray.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I seriously doubt that anyone cares. But here was me this evening (in my own house) with a paint tray, covered by my trusty paint liner tray cover (an old one, already hosed, but free of dust and keeps my new ones clean and covers my trays), and the extension leaning up in the corner. (It's my house in the evening - beer is to the left). Imma get me a tray arm and try it out though.

Floor Material property Gas Paint Automotive exterior

Tableware Material property Rectangle Gas Paint

Fixture Wood Door Gas Flooring

·
Registered
69 Posts
I cant believe there are painters who use trays....
Agreed. Trays barely hold any paint, are difficult to move, and have low sides resulting in more spill risks.
Ya, but you can also pick the whole tray up with that arm attachment to move around the house.. It's actually pretty cool and I'm not a gadget guy. View attachment 113039
Just get an 18 inch Wooster bin/ bucket.

Best way to use it-

Line it with a piece of plastic
Pour the paint in, filling out the plastic.
Then wrap tape around the top and cut off excess plastic.

Roll

When done pull liner, puncture and squeeze remaining paint back into can.

This results in minimal paint waste, zero cleaning and the price of the diy liner is negligible.

I use the 18inch bin like this when rolling with an 18 and with a 9 as well. I've completely eliminated trays from my tool collection. One of my goals a while back was to condense the amount of equipment I use. Trays are a one trick pony , the 18 bin however doubles as a tool holder to carry all the equipment in and out as well.

I've also completely eliminated 5 grids and 1 grids. When mini rolling out of a single, I merely dent the can towards the bottom half, this gives me a flat surface to roll on. This method eliminates buying and cleaning the blue one gal grids.
I destest handy pails, again they are one more unnecessary thing to haul around. Instead just pour off some into your bin, and cut out of the paint can.

Lesson- all you need is an 18 bin and a single one gal can and all of your cutting and rolling needs are taken care of.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tools I cant live without.

Always in my pocket-

Lennox gold utility knife- best utility knife on the market. It has a thumb activated blade for quick one handed deployment. Flip knives are way too slow.

Two inch puttly knife specifically the wooden handle ones sold at hirshfields. These are the perfect balance of weight, blade flex and durability. I am scraping, blading down tape and mixing 5 min mud constantly.

Sharpie and carpenter's pencil. Labeling things is essential for efficiency.

Not in the pocket-
Wooster 18inch bin, sherlock gt 2/4 pole, and 18 frame
3m handmasker

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,466 Posts
Agreed. Trays barely hold any paint, are difficult to move, and have low sides resulting in more spill risks.

Just get an 18 inch Wooster bin/ bucket.

Best way to use it-

Line it with a piece of plastic
Pour the paint in, filling out the plastic.
Then wrap tape around the top and cut off excess plastic.

Roll

When done pull liner, puncture and squeeze remaining paint back into can.

This results in minimal paint waste, zero cleaning and the price of the diy liner is negligible.

I use the 18inch bin like this when rolling with an 18 and with a 9 as well. I've completely eliminated trays from my tool collection. One of my goals a while back was to condense the amount of equipment I use. Trays are a one trick pony , the 18 bin however doubles as a tool holder to carry all the equipment in and out as well.

I've also completely eliminated 5 grids and 1 grids. When mini rolling out of a single, I merely dent the can towards the bottom half, this gives me a flat surface to roll on. This method eliminates buying and cleaning the blue one gal grids.
I destest handy pails, again they are one more unnecessary thing to haul around. Instead just pour off some into your bin, and cut out of the paint can.

Lesson- all you need is an 18 bin and a single one gal can and all of your cutting and rolling needs are taken care of.
What do you do when working with multiple colours? We work in homes using multiple colours/feature walls etc.. 1 Big bucket with plastic ain't gonna cut it for me. 3 Simms trays stacked up still takes up less space then a big wooster bucket. Plus I can just switch out the tray liners and use over and over again. I can see those Wooster buckets being handy for bigger spaces though.

·
Registered
Painter
4 Posts
I just got a new laser tape measure for very fast and accurate estimate measuring. Lexivon 2 in 1 digital laser tape. Check it out!

You can stand in one corner of a room and measure the whole floor size in 2 clicks, less than 10 seconds and you have the LxWxH- no tape out across the room. It looks and works super pro. It claims to shoot 130 feet, but I'm not sure of the truth in that. But lets be honest, no home interior has anything close to a 130 foot wall inside any room.

You hold the back of it against one wall with a line of sight to the opposite wall and press the button. Then do the same for your other measurement - the screen shows 2 measurements at a time. Measurements can be in either foot-inch or metric. Then there is a also regular tape for measuring window and door trim etc. (any outside measurements), also in inch and metric.
Hand Communication Device Automotive tire Cyclocomputer Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
69 Posts
What do you do when working with multiple colours? We work in homes using multiple colours/feature walls etc.. 1 Big bucket with plastic ain't gonna cut it for me. 3 Simms trays stacked up still takes up less space then a big wooster bucket. Plus I can just switch out the tray liners and use over and over again. I can see those Wooster buckets being handy for bigger spaces though.
Rarely do I need to do more than one color at a time. By the time i have cut and rolled, things are usually dry and ready for a second coat. If on the off chance I needed to switch colors I'd wrap up the first roller and brush and switch liners in the bin, otherwise use a coworker's bin if it were handy.

My company has 6 people and zero paint trays.

The bin doubles as tote to haul all the hand tools on and off the job as well. Can't do that with a tray.

Side note , I use an 18inch roller for almost everything. Only thing I'd use a nine for is if I had one bath to paint or something like that.

Even if I only have one bedroom to do I'll use an 18.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got a new laser tape measure for very fast and accurate estimate measuring. Lexivon 2 in 1 digital laser tape. Check it out!

You can stand in one corner of a room and measure the whole floor size in 2 clicks, less than 10 seconds and you have the LxWxH- no tape out across the room. It looks and works super pro. It claims to shoot 130 feet, but I'm not sure of the truth in that. But lets be honest, no home interior has anything close to a 130 foot wall inside any room.

You hold the back of it against one wall with a line of sight to the opposite wall and press the button. Then do the same for your other measurement - the screen shows 2 measurements at a time. Measurements can be in either foot-inch or metric. Then there is a also regular tape for measuring window and door trim etc. (any outside measurements), also in inch and metric.
View attachment 113244
I have a Bosch one of these it does not have a regular tape measure integrated into it as well. That's kind of a cool combo you have there never seen anything like it

·
Registered
516 Posts
Shoot, looks like I missed the debate about the bucket versus tray. I'm a 5 bucket or 18 in pan guy myself. But I agree what's right for one is not for another.

Along with the 5 in 1, I also like to use a glass scraper with handle (mine is Hyde brand) and the long flat blade for masking nice tight corners, especially on windows / french doors etc. Although that blade holder that Woodco mentioned looks like it might be worth checking out.

And I love a good bucket hook when I'm painting exteriors or cutting in to the lid.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts