Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you network with other trades?
A recent article here. It's pretty generic, but I have been experimenting with the concept in the past year. I recommended a window washer and a gutter guy I know to HO we did work for, both have referred their customers to us for painting.
I created a website and FB page for this as well. The others I have involved like it, and the next step will be to have all involved carry each others info.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
That's mainly the type of "networking" I did and we eventually made it into an "informal formal" group. Doing insurance resto business also opened up a few oppurtunities with other service type businesses. I think once you're familiar with the other's work habits and quality, it's easier to accept being a part of something like this.

Knowing what some of your client's/customers do for a living can also open doors for you.

A few years ago the florist who does all my thank you arrangements had a sign on the front of his business that was in serious need of attention. I think I had 8 or 9 hours at the most over the course of a week-end repainting the sign. Had the van parked right in front and picked up 4 jobs the next week from the exposure. Had to check my file just now on the florist and it shows a total of 11 jobs that I could attribute to them due to painting the sign.

BTW - I have been known to barter with some but only on our personal homes. Nobody has yet to feel that they've been taken advantage of.

·
I'm Colour Blind
1,630 Posts
For the most part, I'd say that's how it is done here in the UK. We get a team of reliable guys in different trades and regularly pass work each others way. Can't beat it. You are always getting your business promoted.

It works best for our trade IMO because all the other trades go in first on a job and mess the home up. The HO then gets recommended to us to come in and make good.
As we are normally the last trade in it is usually harder to recommend the other trades if the HO is not having any other building work done. The only trade after us is usually the floor layers.

That's my two penneth, anyway :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think once you're familiar with the other's work habits and quality, it's easier to accept being a part of something like this.
Yes, this has been true!

By the title, I though you and Rob were into some kinky lifestyle stuff.
Rob says he's willing to trade me for two 25 year olds!:jester:

As we are normally the last trade in it is usually harder to recommend the other trades if the HO is not having any other building work done. The only trade after us is usually the floor layers.

That's my two penneth, anyway :thumbsup:
I agree, I have been mentioning it during the initial meeting if it seems the right time.

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
For me, this is kind of how bni has worked out. i get and give the most referrals to people who are also in the trades. the are other tradesmen i try to send work to as well and they try to return the favor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts