Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Grants Painting
224 Posts
I didn't have a good experience with them. They were supposed to send a commercial foreman to my site when I was away on my honeymoon. The rep didn't come to introduce the guy till the last day that I was leaving.
The guy had about 6 or 7 solid teeth and when I got back I found very little work done, The wrong paint in the wrong areas. He never picked up more paint so they worked with what they had - He had no licence! Store Manager said guys were sleeping outside for hours at a time. Oh and one guy was riding around the store with his headphones on his bicycle WHILE THE STORE WAS OPEN. I sat and watched the guy that was supposed to be being managed by the TI employee, ride around the store about four times before the astonishment wore off. They wanted 26 for him and I later found out later that they paid him 12. Guess what I wrote TI a check for? :censored:ers

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice story! The pricing doesn't seem bad, at least not for 18. But taking a gamble with stories like that...They should have a leader board or something so you can hire based on ratings or their bicycles or somethin haha

I didn't have a good experience with them. They were supposed to send a commercial foreman to my site when I was away on my honeymoon. The rep didn't come to introduce the guy till the last day that I was leaving.
The guy had about 6 or 7 solid teeth and when I got back I found very little work done, The wrong paint in the wrong areas. He never picked up more paint so they worked with what they had - He had no licence! Store Manager said guys were sleeping outside for hours at a time. Oh and one guy was riding around the store with his headphones on his bicycle WHILE THE STORE WAS OPEN. I sat and watched the guy that was supposed to be being managed by the TI employee, ride around the store about four times before the astonishment wore off. They wanted 26 for him and I later found out later that they paid him 12. Guess what I wrote TI a check for? :censored:ers

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
Its a total diffrence....to take one of my guys they want $16 for a $10/hour guy...

General laborers supplied by them who are paid 13...I think they want $18...that's nuts...
A five dollar markup is nuts? Oh paduan...

·
Registered
589 Posts
GrantsPainting said:
Wow, and I worry about not showing up on time once in a while making me look bad.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Its a total diffrence....to take one of my guys they want $16 for a $10/hour guy...

General laborers supplied by them who are paid 13...I think they want $18...that's nuts...
If you are legit, with workman's comp and matching taxes, that's close to what you will spend anyway. (I'm assuming that they cover those things)

Reactions: RCP

·
Paintist
719 Posts
PressurePros said:
If you are legit, with workman's comp and matching taxes, that's close to what you will spend anyway. (I'm assuming that they cover those things)
That's right. I add at least 21% to the hourly wage before I even think about making money.

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
well...i dont know how i will ever be ever able to make the switch with those mark ups and rates..... I struggle with my $16/ hour guy as it is now.......
G damit Rich! Free your mind and the rest will follow. I cannot teach you how to have vision. It is the single defining element that makes the successful successful. It ain't the type of job: commercial, residential, whatever. As soon as you learn to believe in yourself (and price accordingly) is when you will finally turn the corner.

Until then your going to keep chasing jobs.

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
Richmond, if the payroll burden only is causing you grief, I can almost guarantee you are not recovering the rest of your overhead at all. Payroll is the easy one.

·
Grants Painting
224 Posts
Wow, and I worry about not showing up on time once in a while making me look bad.
Yea no calls yet from them wanting any thing else painted. Although the GC doesn't do much work here in town. They were just in for the big reno.
No worries though. Im no longer doing any big commercial jobs because I just hate doing them. Id rather meet new people and be new places more often than the same place doing the same BS paperwork. Ive shifted into Res and small local commercial like strip mall stuff and signs. Oh and if Im starvin for a cup of joe and a doughnut, I stop and get it instead of being at the back door when construction get in.
Did I mention that I HATE the paperwork. I would be in a 9-5 if I actually liked that crap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts