Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever wonder if you have oil or latex on your trim, and doors?

Trick....wash a area with mild soapy rag, let dry.

Take a rag with ammonia on it, straight out of bottle, wipe area you cleaned a few wipes with ammonia rag. If paint comes off on rag, you have latex paint on that area, oil paint will not come off on the rag.

Ever have a customer complain that when they wipe there walls down, that they wipe paint off their walls? Tell them to stop using a cleaner with ammonia in it, and the paint will stop coming off their trim, and or walls.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott, your little guy is getting a headache....Looks like he needs a beer brake.

·
3rd Generation Painter
142 Posts
Ever wonder if you have oil or latex on your trim, and doors?

Trick....wash a area with mild soapy rag, let dry.

Take a rag with ammonia on it, straight out of bottle, wipe area you cleaned a few wipes with ammonia rag. If paint comes off on rag, you have latex paint on that area, oil paint will not come off on the rag.

Ever have a customer complain that when they wipe there walls down, that they wipe paint off their walls? Tell them to stop using a cleaner with ammonia in it, and the paint will stop coming off their trim, and or walls.
Or you could just take some Goof Off and do the same thing and save some time.

·
Painting Contractor
58 Posts
Goof off for me. I must be dense in that it took me 15 years in business to learn this trick. I never tried amonia - I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks for the tip!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I prefer denatured alcohol for this "trick". I figured all pros did that? With the alcohol I always have it with me as I have brushes for shellac and clean them that way. Ammonia will clean the shellac too I prefer the alcohol smell better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts