Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Logistics
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anyone care to explain why BEHR Premium Plus Flat is no good? More specifically in the same price range for a $24 flat, which other products are better and what do they do better?

Its widely known paint contractors do not like Behr, I believe someone posted a 99% statistic. What I don't get is no one seems to offer up any reasons why Behr sucks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anyone care to explain why BEHR Premium Plus Flat is no good? More specifically in the same price range for a $24 flat, which other products are better and what do they do better?

Its widely known paint contractors do not like Behr, I believe someone posted a 99% statistic. What I don't get is no one seems to offer up any reasons why Behr sucks.

i find it doesnt cover as good as other paint... but you just opened a can of worms.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
but you just opened a can of worms.
Thats what he does best..

Personally never like the coverage especially white, too thick never spread very well. very smacky (A term anold guy i know likes to use)when it rolls... and worst of all the service to contractors at HD, Lowes and so on does not exist...

·
talentless hack
164 Posts
It sux to move. Homedepot is killing mom and pops just like walmart and it covers like sh!t. @24 bux a gallon I would expect more of a product like Muralo. Now I will never visit this thread again.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
I did not care for how it laid off the roller and it was not as forgiving for quickly recoating as the paint I usually use, would cause small bubbles in the previous coat on those small jobs (HO provided it) when a quick recoat is important.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Also I had issue with the roller pulling off the cuts.. something that is suppose to happen with Aura and I have yet to experience... I will say this was years ago when I also ad a HO buy on it job that we were hire to fix as the HO gave up trying to paint there foyer.. Has it change since then?? maybe.. but again service for contractors suck at HD at least at the paint counter...

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Using normal techniques tends to sag on cuts and does not like to be thinned or extended to avoid this problem.

·
"Member"
10,719 Posts
If I have to make it work I will. On Occasion the HO has picked up the paint and got Behr from HD. Not a big deal. I've worked with it before and I'd like to think I can make any paint work. I do not think it is a high quality product and I prefer to use BM and SW.

I'm sure you are going to tell us that the formula for the flat is the same as BM super spec flat ....or something like that.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

I just used some to help a carpenter friend who remodeled the upstairs of his house. He bought it, I used it.

It's kind of watery. It really spatters. It doesn't cover.

But it also does this thing where after you roll it on, and it looks good: every where there is a little mound from a section of "nap", it eventually kind of sags there.

When it dries in, the sheen is flat enough that you cant notice it. But it is kind of unnerving to have the physical shape of the the rolled surface change 15 minutes after you put it on the wall.

It's like a million little sags where each section of nap rolled over the paint.

Once I put my paint on, I don't want it to do anything except shrink until it's dry.

·
17,849 Posts
I got to agree with Neps, i have used it before and I have made it work fine. It is not what I would buy to do a job but when they have already purchased it you have to bite the bullet and make it happen.
It is over priced and it does not cover as well as cheaper flats.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I'm no genius, I ask alot of questions about products and technique. If something odd happens on the job I call and ask more questions. The part time cashier filling in for the full time paint department guy who doesn't know squat about squat anyways can't answer my questions. When they do even my mother would be able to call them out on giving the wrong advice they think is right cause they watched a couple episodes of Trading Spaces.

The real paint stores atleast have one educated person around to answer anything and everything. They're willing to come look at a job and give advice. They're willing to troubleshoot certain situations & even possibly fix the situation on their dime. Why give all that up to save only a couple dollars on some usually lesser quality paint, that you have to stand in line behind 5 people trying to figure out how to use the self scan machine to buy as all the people operated registers happen to be closed that day (and soon forever).

·
Registered
12 Posts
why does Behr suck? to me is really more than justt a paint question. I get poor advice and help for that matter from HD employees, which i dont like to support )sundries ok). For the $24 price tag or whatever i can get my Silken Touch that outperforms any Behr product and even save a few bucks for flat and i support a local paint store that knows my name and cares for my interests. Its not the worst paint and definately not the best, hided i find is decent likes to sag if applied to thick and poor leveling.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
10 or so responses

Did anyone admit to actually using this crap because they had a choice? None, a couple said they would make it work and any REAL painter could,but at what cost?

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience. :thumbsup: No more arguments from me!, Mr Jack on the other hand

Originally Posted by zerowned
but you just opened a can of worms.
Thats what he does best.. :yes:

·
Logistics
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent replies. Many of you know i've been around on various forums for a long time and the BEHR sucks campaign seems to be common but I've failed to see a valid thread as to why even when threads go 11 pages. The bottom line is always unanimously BEHR sucks without any explanation.

I picked BEHR Premium Plus Flat because flats are the most forgiving and typically the easiest to apply to get nice results. I will say, all of the responses on this post have been said about competitive flats too even at prices double what this flat costs and in the same breath there are flats about $10 less contractor price that perform fine.

I used this product before several times as well as other sheens from BEHR and in my opinion there are far worse options. I didn't find this product to be overly difficult to use and its not a product I personally recommend either but when it all comes down to the wide selection of flats, there are only a few I would use.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
I picked BEHR Premium Plus Flat because flats are the most forgiving and typically the easiest to apply to get nice results. I will say, all of the responses on this post have been said about competitive flats too even at prices double what this flat costs and in the same breath there are flats about $10 less contractor price that perform fine.

I used this product before several times as well as other sheens from BEHR and in my opinion there are far worse options. I didn't find this product to be overly difficult to use and its not a product I personally recommend either but when it all comes down to the wide selection of flats, there are only a few I would use.
Why do you usuallly leave any potentially useful information out of your posts? In this thread, you say there are only a few flats you would use. Most guys would say, I like these X,Y,Z flat paints the best. Same when you post about primers often or other things.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Excellent replies. Many of you know i've been around on various forums for a long time and the BEHR sucks campaign seems to be common but I've failed to see a valid thread as to why even when threads go 11 pages. The bottom line is always unanimously BEHR sucks without any explanation.

First off I don't know any flats that are double the price.. The only thing close would be Aura matte 48$ and theirs no comparison there.. Unless your talking F&B..

Second so which flats does the great JP recommend??? put it out there so all the HO's lurking on this site can run out and get them...

1 - 20 of 288 Posts