Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and this is my garage... :vs_whistle:

I bought this house and it come with oil on garage floor... I used cat litter, ZEP from HomeDepot and thinking of trying SimpleGreen..
Also I pressure washed it twice..

Still, when I spill water on the surface it shows that oil&greese is still there. I was gonna paint it but it does not pass water test..

Also does epoxy sticks to conditions like this?
I was thinking to use either epoxy or PPG Breaktrough... or something else??

Any help welcome.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Nothing will stick to that, thats for sure. A good trick is to make a paste from cat litter and mineral spirits, and smear it on the stain for a day or two. Theres also products at home depot that seem like a similar thing to do

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
If you plan on epoxying the floor, you can acid wash it. I would not use breakthrough on a garage floor. Get the real deal epoxies, or you will seriously regret it.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,225 Posts
EBC for Removing Oil Stains

This is an ongoing issue with my pressure washing business. One of the biggest challenges is that you could seemingly do everything correct to remove the oil, but you'll still see a shadow, which is the oil that's migrated below the surface.

Over the counter products will be hit & miss. Some folks get lucky using Purple Power, which is one of the more effective de-greasers you'll find at auto parts stores, Wallmart, etc.

If you go to a Sherwin store regularly, you could order some EBC, which is probably one of the most effective de-greasers available. You can also order it online.

Removing oil stains is a difficult task. Multiple applications of a good de-greaser with ample dwell times, agitate with brush, then hot water pressure wash is the easiest course of action

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi

I ordered hot pressure washing and it took almost everything away.

Not im about to use Rust-Oleum 1 gal. Concrete Etch and Cleaner to etch the surface before coating.

Did anybody use MegaSeal from PPG? Its self leveling epoxy..

·
Registered
330 Posts
Use Purple Power Degreaser, pick it up at the auto parts store. I would put it in a weed sprayer and NOT dilute it. Spray it on and literally watch the grease float to the surface, agitate the surface then pressure wash off. *This is corrosive and should avoid aluminum*

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've never used it, but one of my NACE buddies used to spec oil stop primer (#201) just for these occasions from epoxysystems.com. Interestingly enough, he was a SW Protective & Marine rep, but swore by this stuff for spot priming hard to coat floors, such as automotive garages with deep oil penetration. Could be a starting point?

·
Red Seal
40 Posts
and this is my garage... :vs_whistle:

I bought this house and it come with oil on garage floor... I used cat litter, ZEP from HomeDepot and thinking of trying SimpleGreen..
Also I pressure washed it twice..

Still, when I spill water on the surface it shows that oil&greese is still there. I was gonna paint it but it does not pass water test..

Also does epoxy sticks to conditions like this?
I was thinking to use either epoxy or PPG Breaktrough... or something else??

Any help welcome.
Nothing will stick to oil, don't do that.

Hit it with some Chomp cleaner and a scouring pad. Rinse well. Repeat as necessary.

Also don't use breakthough on a garage floor.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I just spent an hour reading about concrete prep, moisture detection, do's and don'ts of epoxy application, types of epoxy systems, etc., on the epoxysystems.com web site.

This seems like a fabulous place for learning and for ordering various 2 component epoxy flooring systems, urethanes, etc. Thanks SWPB for your post!

And the 201 oil stop primer sounds like the real deal, as long as relative humidity within the concrete does not exceed 80%, proper surface prep was done (acid etching, or vacuum blasting, scarifying, grinding, etc.). Again, thanks, as I've needed a good source to learn about this facet of the paint industry that I've been deliberately avoiding due to ignorance and inexperience.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
There are remediation epoxies that will hold back hydrostatic pressure and go directly over grease and oil. You can also get microbial degreasers that are living enzymes that eat hydrocarbons and penetrate deep into embedded oil and grease. You can check for the presence of oil or grease with a black light for those that still have their Jimi Hendricks posters up. I have used successfully a 100% Solids remediation epoxy over an oily and over 4% moisture content concrete successfully. I purchased it out of Merrifield Paint in Rocky Hill CT. A very good and highly respected Glidden Pro rep tipped me off to it. Good luck with your project. I do not like acid etching. Not a good prep standard.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The whole painting garage floors thing I do not get. I mean, it's a garage, not the kitchen table you eat off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
How about dawn dish soap? squirt some out into the area scrub it in, let it sit for 30min-1hr, and then rinse?

Isnt Dawn the go to detergent they use to clean up large oil spills?

Also some of the more artistic designs in floor coating do look pretty bad ass... Rustoleum is one product that comes to mind, though you only get about 100 sq ft per box... but google floor coatings... 3D effects glitter ect... much nicer than battle ship grey lol

as a small example of some of the new products on the market.... though I suspect your floor has to be relatively perfect prior to application...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts