Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tested out a pressure pot HVLP setup on some cabinet doors using semi-gloss SW emerald urethane trim enamel. The doors were prepped with 2 coats of the SW bin equivalent, white pigmented shellac primer. They were sanded smooth with 220 and tacked. I used to do automotive body work, so I'm pretty good with getting gravity feed hvlp guns to spray nicely. I'm only using the pressure pot to push the emerald urethane out the tip to how a normal gravity gun would naturally flow out when testing with no air.

It sprayed on flawlessly, or so I thought. After about 10 minutes, small perfectly spherical, thick filmed bubbles started forming, which eventually turned into fish eyes after several hours. I'm trying to figure out what type of contamination, incompatibility, or some part of my process that is flawed, but nothing is coming to me. Being used to spraying automotive, my process is seemingly, very clean.

Being that this so costly to troubleshoot with this product, especially with a pressure pot, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just tested out a pressure pot HVLP setup on some cabinet doors using semi-gloss SW emerald urethane trim enamel. The doors were prepped with 2 coats of the SW bin equivalent, white pigmented shellac primer. They were sanded smooth with 220 and tacked. I used to do automotive body work, so I'm pretty good with getting gravity feed hvlp guns to spray nicely. I'm only using the pressure pot to push the emerald urethane out the tip to how a normal gravity gun would naturally flow out when testing with no air.

It sprayed on flawlessly, or so I thought. After about 10 minutes, small perfectly spherical, thick filmed bubbles started forming, which eventually turned into fish eyes after several hours. I'm trying to figure out what type of contamination, incompatibility, or some part of my process that is flawed, but nothing is coming to me. Being used to spraying automotive, my process is seemingly, very clean.

Being that this so costly to troubleshoot with this product, especially with a pressure pot, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
What is the product number on the cans? It’s been reformulated a bunch of times in the past two years. Should start with k38 then 4 numbers. Lmk which you got.

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,699 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,722 Posts
New doors or previously finished?
What type of tack cloth was used?
Have you tried to spray a scrap piece of new stock to see if the contamination might've been on the door itself vs. your setup or tools?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts