Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dealing with a 1 year old Garapa deck which after the build was stained with Penofin Hardwood Formula. The Penofin stain was carefully applied and excess was wiped from the surface, yet still only a few weeks later black discoloration occurred. Here we are 1 year later looking at a restain with ideally TWP 1500, based on the available information online.

Pressure wash and sanding seems appropriate here BUT their instructions suggests 4-12 months of natural weathering for the wood which, in this case, technically didn't happen since an initial stain was applies shortly after the deck was built.

Anybody here have experience with a situation like this? Do we remove the old stain then let it weather first or just wash and stain immediately?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Some of the hardwoods such as Garapa and IPE contain a lot of natural oils. My understanding is that allowing the wood to weather will reduce the amount of natural oils in the wood and helps the oil you’re applying penetrate better.

I’ve also heard of people wiping the wood down with Acetone prior to apply finish on newly installed hardwoods.

You might want to check out www.ipehelp.com too. Lots of good info and it’s written by Scott Burt who is a well know author within the paint industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts