Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· chief bucket carrier
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a customer call me last night. He said that his cousin just bought a new house, and now that he's retired, he's been doing some work for the cousin fixing up the place. So his question to me is, what should he charge his cousin for painting 2 bedrooms and a hallway? I almost jumped through the phone and choked him. :furious::furious::furious::censored: :wallbash::censored::censored:

· Registered
14,407 Posts
Oh its believable. In the past, I have had potential customers milk us for all the information they could possibly need on how a proper paint job is done and then hire the lowest guy and beat it out of him. That doesnt happen anymore.

· PinheadsUnite
30,726 Posts
Some people, eh?

Potential customer the other day called and wanted to know how much I would charge to hang her foyer and a couple of baths - she already had bought the paper and it was on hand (first red flag). I told her I needed to look at the areas and see what type of paper and the sizes of the rooms. She then proceeded to tell me how many rolls she had and asked how much would I charge per roll. "I'm sorry Mrs Mykranz, I charge by the job. All rooms are different. It would be like a painter charging by the gallon" That went right above her head.

The conversation deteriorated from there. These were high end papers that needed trimming and liners ("Why do they need liners? I pay all this money for expensive paper and you're telling me I have to pay extra for a liner?" "I'm sorry ma'am, I did not write the instructions for the installation - just follow manufacturer's recommendation").

Well, I finally make an appointment, and she's still bitching about everything BEFORE I even give her an estimate. I hang up the phone and have already decide how HIGH the estimate will be.

The next day, she emailed me this:
Hi Bill,
After our conversation yesterday I received a call back from the person who had done some work for us a few years ago. He said he was able to come early next week and get started. So unfortunately I am canceling our appt. for Friday. I will keep your card on file and the decorator I'm working with also has your name.
At that point I knew there is a God that looks after me.

-Bill

· Registered
14,407 Posts
And when they already have the materials. Speaking of which, and not to turn this into too much of a bitch session, but this is classic...I had a customer for a few years who we did very occasional work for. I am talking literally a day here a day there every year or two for about 6 years. The last time we worked for her she wanted us to paint the trim in one room. She asked me for an estimate and wanted to know how much paint it would take. I told her it would require one gallon. She asked if I would mind if she purchased the paint herself and I said sure no problem.

She goes to my supplier and purchases the paint through my account and pays cash. I think she saved $4 on that gallon of paint. I was not impressed. Isnt it enough to forego my markup? Having someone use my account to purchase it at my cost without my permission was cause for termination of the customer. I also politely asked my suppliers to not allow anyone not employed by me to purchase through the account without phone verification from me.

· Registered
147 Posts
I met a funny one this week. Starts yelling before i even get out of the truck. "you're not coming near my house when it's damp or cold. I won't let you touch it, I don't care, I'll send you home if I don't think it's warm or dry enough" Then he says, " I need it done by May 1st".

I live in Massachusetts...........had snow flurries last weekend.

Man did he get mad when I burst out laughing.

· Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
A long time ago, when I was just starting, I had a customer who wanted to supply the paint. He then asked if he could use my account to get my discount. I allowed him, assuming he would pay cash. He actually charged it to my account. Then he called me and said it wouldn't fit in his car and wanted me to pick it up. Like an idiot I agreed. So much for him supplying the paint.

Brian Phillips

· Registered
725 Posts
A long time ago, when I was just starting, I had a customer who wanted to supply the paint. He then asked if he could use my account to get my discount. I allowed him, assuming he would pay cash. He actually charged it to my account. Then he called me and said it wouldn't fit in his car and wanted me to pick it up. Like an idiot I agreed. So much for him supplying the paint.

Brian Phillips

Wow, how mad were you? Talk bout going the extra mile

· Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Wow, how mad were you? Talk bout going the extra mile
In retrospect I was pretty ticked-- at myself. I was used and I allowed it to happen. I wasn't marking up materials, so it really didn't "cost" me anything.

That's one of those lessons you learn when you go to the school of hard knocks. If only Al Gore had invented the internet in the late 1980's, I would not have had to endure that experience.

Brian Phillips

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.