Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I’m kind of late to the audio party, and have a lot to learn- a lot I don’t know.
I would think 180 watts/channel would power anything you throw at it!

Bluetooth connectivity was important to me, because I listen to Spotify most of the time...so I have a modern receiver HK3770, powering Polk rc80i in-ceiling speakers in my shop. It’s not ‘great’ sound, but it’s not bad, and nothing sitting on the floor. If I was a little more tech savvy, there are many gems sitting on Craigslist and eBay right now.

My current vehicle has a new head unit (Pioneer AVIC) but because it’s one of those proprietary speakers/amp systems, I didn’t touch the speakers.
They sell bluetooth to 3.5mm or RCA adapters of varying quality for $10-20. You could use any receiver in the world that way with bluetooth. At home I mostly use desktop PCs connected via a 3.5mm headphone to RCA cable for my music. I make sure all of my phones still have a headphone jack, too. I have a couple of pairs of bluetooth headphones, but I still use my wired ones more often. I find bluetooth headphones really only useful if you're exercising.

My current main receiver is a 100WPC Nakamichi from the late 90s. I have a 60WPC Yamaha downstairs, and I gave my mother a 1980s Pioneer 80WPC receiver, and my sister a 1990s Panasonic 70WPC receiver. My father has an early 90s JVC 90WPC receiver. I have a silver faced Hitachi receiver from the late 70s, and most 70s receivers were underrated, I think it and my 100WPC Nakamichi which is also considered underrated are about equivalent in power and lack of distortion at high volumes. I have Realistic 3 way speakers I redid the surrounds on at a total cost of $15+8 for the speakers, and upstairs with my Nakamichi I have a set of 1970s Pioneer towers I put new crossovers in from China I got on ebay, plus a Sony 100W (supposedly) subwoofer. I have more, but you might get the jist. None I really paid more than a few dollars for.

Thankfully or unthankfully, I've been lucky on all my vehicles to not have too proprietary of a setup or a factory amp, just pretty basic straight forward DIN installs. I'm running pretty old head units, though. In one vehicle I have a Jensen HD Radio single DIN head unit from 2008-2009, and it's been in 4 cars now, another I have a Clarion HD Radio head unit of similar functionality, but unfortunately it's buggy and USB only barely works. Neither have bluetooth, both have aux in.

I'm still old and Boomer enough that I burn mp3 CDs for it, because why not? I never really got into podcasts or streaming platforms, I tend to still listen to whole albums or my own mixes. The closest thing I really get to there is di.fm/RadioTunes and other online radio, which has been around forever now. I first started listening to them in about 2002/2003 (I remember amazing myself with listening to a Japanese FM station in 2000 with AOL) and I can't change from the online radio format now, and never saw the big deal with Spotify/etc when online radio existed.

This is all kind of Boomer of me despite not even being 30 yet, I insist on wires and using old stuff with cobbled wires, but hey. I also use desktop PCs with my TVs as a big monitor instead of buying a "Smart TV" though on one TV I have a Chinese Android box that gives me smart TV functionality for $30.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
They sell bluetooth to 3.5mm or RCA adapters of varying quality for $10-20. You could use any receiver in the world that way with bluetooth. At home I mostly use desktop PCs connected via a 3.5mm headphone to RCA cable for my music. I make sure all of my phones still have a headphone jack, too. I have a couple of pairs of bluetooth headphones, but I still use my wired ones more often. I find bluetooth headphones really only useful if you're exercising.

My current main receiver is a 100WPC Nakamichi from the late 90s. I have a 60WPC Yamaha downstairs, and I gave my mother a 1980s Pioneer 80WPC receiver, and my sister a 1990s Panasonic 70WPC receiver. My father has an early 90s JVC 90WPC receiver. I have a silver faced Hitachi receiver from the late 70s, and most 70s receivers were underrated, I think it and my 100WPC Nakamichi which is also considered underrated are about equivalent in power and lack of distortion at high volumes. I have Realistic 3 way speakers I redid the surrounds on at a total cost of $15+8 for the speakers, and upstairs with my Nakamichi I have a set of 1970s Pioneer towers I put new crossovers in from China I got on ebay, plus a Sony 100W (supposedly) subwoofer. I have more, but you might get the jist. None I really paid more than a few dollars for.

Thankfully or unthankfully, I've been lucky on all my vehicles to not have too proprietary of a setup or a factory amp, just pretty basic straight forward DIN installs. I'm running pretty old head units, though. In one vehicle I have a Jensen HD Radio single DIN head unit from 2008-2009, and it's been in 4 cars now, another I have a Clarion HD Radio head unit of similar functionality, but unfortunately it's buggy and USB only barely works. Neither have bluetooth, both have aux in.

I'm still old and Boomer enough that I burn mp3 CDs for it, because why not? I never really got into podcasts or streaming platforms, I tend to still listen to whole albums or my own mixes. The closest thing I really get to there is di.fm/RadioTunes and other online radio, which has been around forever now. I first started listening to them in about 2002/2003 (I remember amazing myself with listening to a Japanese FM station in 2000 with AOL) and I can't change from the online radio format now, and never saw the big deal with Spotify/etc when online radio existed.

This is all kind of Boomer of me despite not even being 30 yet, I insist on wires and using old stuff with cobbled wires, but hey. I also use desktop PCs with my TVs as a big monitor instead of buying a "Smart TV" though on one TV I have a Chinese Android box that gives me smart TV functionality for $30.
Respect.

(But seriously need to rethink your position on cd’s! Lol!)

·
Premium Member
15,113 Posts
Unless you're a union outfit that allows employees to exercise their rights to file a "working out of class" grievance per their contractual MOU agreement (Memorandum of Understanding), then Hell yes! Get your sorry ass up on that ladder and remove that eighty seven pound/seventy five inch Sony Bravia TV monitor and be thankful you were blessed for providing the service. Jeez!

·
Premium Member
15,113 Posts

Unless you've owned a Confunction's 8 track tape, and!, played it at a drive in theater with a car load of young adults drinking rum and coke, you're no where near being a "Boomer".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unless you've owned a Confunction's 8 track tape, and!, played it at a drive in theater with a car load of young adults drinking rum and coke, you're no where near being a "Boomer".
Oh yes, drive ins and liquor. I have a lot of memories and a lot of things I don't remember.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts