Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started I handed out a lot of door hangers. One day I noticed someone driving down the street tossing a small bag in yards. I confiscated one and saw that it contained a flyer for some contractor.

I soon stole his idea. I rolled up flyers and used a rubber and to hold them in place. I would drive down the street and a helper would toss the flyer in the yard. I went from handing out 120 an hour to more than 500 per hour. And I could do it much longer. It was by far the most effective advertising I've ever done.

Such things would be frowned upon now, and might even get me arrested in some places. But it worked at the time.

What marketing have you done that is unusual?

Brian Phillips

·
Registered
217 Posts
Keep trying to think of weird things... only thing I can come up with is when we first started, we were sticking flyers to the mailbox, not IN them... following the mailman around a neighborhood... he finally stopped and yelled at us, we found out that day that anything on/in/attached to a mailbox is offlimits.

·
17,849 Posts
A guy throws them in my driveway i can't stand it, one day i chased him down and asked him to please stop throwing them in my driveway, he told me he would, to this day i still get them in my yard. All i do is toss them in the trash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Canvassing idea

I still haven't tried it but I think hiring college kids to walk neighborhoods and knock on doors to set appts is a great idea. My brother told me of a CertaPro dude who hired temps from an agency with the instructions given to them to find "sales" people. He also told them if in the first two hours they were not able to set an appt. they would be paid for their minimum and let go. Kinda harsh but serves to give incentive. He also paid for each set appt. on top of their hourly. I just hired a college grad who wants to own a paint company someday. I'm thinking of maybe having him run a small crew of canvassers. What do you guys think? I'll try to remember to let you know how it works. We'll see!

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
good question Brian

it's tough because if you try and do too much, people get offended and if you do to little, people don't have enough incentive to respond

I personally can't stand flyers on my door...I'll be honest, I dont even look at them and throw them in the garbage. I do however look more at the value ads in the local paper all the time to see what guys are offering. I think those are the key, although I have yet to use them.

Not so sure I've done anything out of the ordinary as of yet. I'll get back to you when I start flying a banner in the air.

"Hey...what' that... :rolleyes: "

Reactions: Workaholic

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Go to your local pizza place and offer to team up on his menus or pizza boxes. These guys spend a fortune on menus and boxes. Many places are very open to having you help finance those expenses and will put your ad in.

Coasters in bars and restaurants.

Do charity work and call every paper and TV station within earshot and let them know about. (Doing work for a school pays off the best)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I remember reading this idea a while ago from someone on Contractor Talk:

Organize a "Customer Appreciation Month." Contact every customer you've had for the past, say, year and ask them if you can put a lawn sign up in their yard for a specific month. Tell them that by allowing a sign in their yard, they've entered their name into a raffle which gives away various prizes, such as fancy dinners, gift cards, spa treatments, etc.

I think it's a great idea, but have yet to try it. Think of the exposure and branding if you had 100-200 signs up in your immediate area at one time.

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Thank you so much!!!

I now have over 60 yard signs in the ground for just one city alone, and soon to be 300 for 5 cities. All our clients think it is a great idea as well. I feel everyone should do this. Thank you so much it's great to be a part of such valuable resources as this. If anyone has any questions at all please email me.

I remember reading this idea a while ago from someone on Contractor Talk:

Organize a "Customer Appreciation Month." Contact every customer you've had for the past, say, year and ask them if you can put a lawn sign up in their yard for a specific month. Tell them that by allowing a sign in their yard, they've entered their name into a raffle which gives away various prizes, such as fancy dinners, gift cards, spa treatments, etc.

I think it's a great idea, but have yet to try it. Think of the exposure and branding if you had 100-200 signs up in your immediate area at one time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my neighborhood just about once a week there is a plastic sandwich bag with a filer or business card with a rock thrown on the driveway.. Me not being the sharpest tool in the shed always take it out read it and hold on to it, throw the rock in the wife's planter, throw bag in the garbage.
After reading this thread and others on marketing, it motoviated me to get a marketing plan together. Web site, truck signs local ad's and such.
I decided I will also give the filer thing a shot.
My plan of attach is buying couple hundred cheap paint brushes, stick a label on them with my web address and phone number. Attach (some how) my business card. I figure I can hit about a 100 houses a day, and the brush may land a call instead of in the garbage can.
What do you other pro's think?

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is great!

Coasters in bars and restaurants.
What a novel idea, Ken.
A painter, in a bar...
I'll bet I could come up with all kinds of ideas
drawing on cocktail napkins down at Murphy's...
And I can tell my wife I was working!

I'll start tomorrow.
r

·
Registered
745 Posts
DiBs, I really like that paintbrush giveaway idea.
You could probably get 1" or even 2" brushes for a dime each, on a bulk buy.

Shame on anyone who would actually USE one, but it would get more attention than an advertising pen!
r

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's an effective one.

Make a postcard one-sided (8.5x11 Card stock cut in 4)that says;

Dear ________________

I just wanted to let you know that we just had ABC Painting Company paint our house and we highly recommend them. The owner Joe Painter can be reached at 123-555-1222 and you should call him when you need a good, reliable painter. Joe will also give you $100 off ($750 or higher paint job) your next paint job if you show him this postcard so he knows I referred you.

Sincerely,

Now on the address side, I would go ahead and put a 24c stamp on it and maybe put the customers return address on it and then give 4 of them to your customer to fill out for their friends and send them. Obviously some won't send them, but a good amount will and they will be powerful recommendations. Two key components are that you put the live stamp (not business reply or anything, but a real stamp) and you make a special offer. The stamps will make your current customer most likely to send them because they will feel obligated since you already spent money on the stamp and they don't want to waste it, all 24 cents of it. The special offer for the friend will make the friend save the card for later as it's worth money.

Every now and then you will get an aggressive customer and they will fill out 10-20 of them, so be prepared for backup.

·
Epoxy Dude
566 Posts
I soon stole his idea. I rolled up flyers and used a rubber and to hold them in place.
I don't know man... People here are pissed that they are giving them out in schools. I can't imagine what they would do if you actually threw the rubbers in their yard! :blink:

(I can't believe none of you guys beat me to this... lol)

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
LMAO! I couldn't wait to read thru this thread and hope no one else caught that rubber bit.

Dang you Wolverine! I was hoping it could have been me. :)

On the subject of advertising and getting work, there are some really aggressive ways you can do this. One very effective way is hiring telemarketers, and have a sales team do the rest.

You can do this for about %30 of the total cost of the job, which still isn't bad money on repaints. I have a friend in Charlotte who started a similar business model six years ago.

He now has business' in three states and does 4 million in residential repaints a year. He also has a booming commercial business which does way more. He subs out all the work at 45% of total cost to the painters, and 10% to the sales men.

His only real overhead is his field managers, which pretty much take care of everything. I kinda admire his success, but don't think I want to go that route. He is a very rich man at 35.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My plan of attach is buying couple hundred cheap paint brushes, stick a label on them with my web address and phone number. Attach (some how) my business card. I figure I can hit about a 100 houses a day, and the brush may land a call instead of in the garbage can.
What do you other pro's think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/240-Foam-Paint-...8674672QQihZ014QQcategoryZ11701QQcmdZViewItem

240 foam bushes for $9.99 I think your idea is good, let us know if it works. I would copy it but I can't afford to leave 200 windows on peoples door steps.

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know man... People here are pissed that they are giving them out in schools. I can't imagine what they would do if you actually threw the rubbers in their yard! :blink:
Oops, I left a word out. Actually, we used rubber bands. But had we used rubbers, I bet we would have received more calls (but not the kind I would want).

Brian Phillips

1 - 20 of 59 Posts