Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go to your local pizza place and offer to team up on his menus or pizza boxes. These guys spend a fortune on menus and boxes. Many places are very open to having you help finance those expenses and will put your ad in.

Coasters in bars and restaurants.

Do charity work and call every paper and TV station within earshot and let them know about. (Doing work for a school pays off the best)
You can also offer to fold the pizza boxes for them in exchange for placing your flyer on top of the boxes. It saves the pizza place from having to pay an employee to fold the boxes. Look at any pizza place and you will stacks of pre-folded boxes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One thing to be aware of when you are giving your pizza guy flyers is that most of them will go to apartment complexes if the are handing them out. Now if they are just on the pizza box, then the waste is manageable. But i was printing up 5000 a month, thinking the were going to houses only to find out 80% were going to apartments and condos where they could hand out a bunch much faster, but did me no good

·
Registered
13 Posts
We do a sign promotion every November. Anyone who allows us to put a sign in their yard for the entire month gets entered into a drawing. We give away 2 $250 gift certificates to a nice restaurant ($250 covers a meal for 2).

Brian Phillips
How many customers let you advertise on their lawn for 1 month? Have you found that it generats a lot of leads to pay off the $500 you are investing to do this?

Welovepainting,
Where do you place your signs in the city? Does it require the cities approval? Is there a fee to advertise like that?

·
Paint to ride!
230 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/240-Foam-Paint-...8674672QQihZ014QQcategoryZ11701QQcmdZViewItem

240 foam bushes for $9.99 I think your idea is good, let us know if it works. I would copy it but I can't afford to leave 200 windows on peoples door steps.
I think it is a good idea any way you can get your name in front of people.
I intend to put a yard sign in front of every empty for sale house in all good
neighborhoods all over the county and all my clients that will have them as well, bound to get some calls.;) BPTL

·
Registered
Painter
2,036 Posts
Digging up an old topic..... (Oops.. yeah, timhag linked to this topic in a recent thread... so he is responsible for digging it up.. hehe )

Did anyone do some of these great ideas on this topic? If so, how did it turn out?

Love the paintbrush idea.... :thumbsup:

J

·
Registered
725 Posts
I heard of a guy that said he would buy those large easter eggs around easter and put in a coupon, his card and something to weigh it down. Then he would throw them in the yards of 500 houses a day, 10 days leading to easter. Apparently it worked pretty well.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
huhhh haaah huhhh haaaahh "Hi... is this Brian? Brian I got your rubber today and I need some work done. Do you do pipes? I need mine cleaned. Oh wait, it says you are a painter..Can you come color my world, big boy?" ::more heavy breathing::

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
huhhh haaah huhhh haaaahh "Hi... is this Brian?
This is Brian. How can I help you?
Brian I got your rubber today and I need some work done.
I wondered where I left it.
Do you do pipes? I need mine cleaned.
We've done a few pipes over the years. What kind of prep will they need?
Oh wait, it says you are a painter..Can you come color my world, big boy?" ::more heavy breathing::
Have you already selected your colors, or will you need some help? And by the way, you should do something about that asthma.

Brian Phillips

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've never really been much into the blanketing flyer handout idea. Like most people I throw that stuff away.

But let me confuss one flyer advertisment I did do years ago, when I first went out on my own and was doing business to customer painting.

Instead of creating just flyers that had my business name, types of painting I offered and my contact info. I drove around neighborhoods and looked for houses that where in need of one of the painting services I did. For example: Exterior Painting.

After about an hour I had a list of about 80 addresses. I created a flyer that explained all the needed steps, potental problems they might run into, equipment they'd likely have to buy or rent and provided a 'guestimate' on how long the average home owner (with limited painting knowledge and skills) would likely need to paint their own home. So that it would have a professional looking finish when completed.

Near the bottom of the flyer, I offered my services and explained how by hiring me they could get the job done faster, without taking time from their families or risk a fall which could keep them from working.

The hole concept behind the flyer was to create a since of 'This is way to much work, to time consuming for me and I don't have the skills to do it myself'.

I got 35 calls and 18 jobs from that flyer mailing.

Note: I didn't throw the flyers in their yards or driveways. I mailed them to the address. The reason I mailed them was because I felt and still feel that people open mail with a much more open mindset to adverts. Than they will or do have walking out in their yards or driveways in a 'who the hell throw this on my property atitude'.

Furthermore. I believe my conversion rate on this unsolicated advert was high because:
  1. I targeted a specific market with a specific need
  2. Provide a specific solution for that need
  3. While providing helpful advice and then another solution to their problem (me).
I believe this type of flyer would work with any single aspect you are wanting to advertise. Exterior painting, deck staining etc... The key, in my opinion is focusing the flyers so that people who have a need for your service get your advertisments. Blanketing a flyer for deck staining, deck cleaning etc.. Wont get you much work of 96% of the people you throw a flyer to don't have a deck.

Just my two cents -

·
Registered
527 Posts
I used to hire an artist to paint a portrait of the house I was working on a 4X4 peice of plywood, and put my company name on top ... number on the bottom. The home owner got to keep it when I was done painting the house. $50 covered the artist. A few people actualy hired me because they wanted to have the sign. They figured the actual paint job was "just exterior paint" ... and anyone could do it ... but, they wanted that portrait of their house.

A "Painting of the house in front of the house I was Painting."

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.