Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
17,886 Posts
Work: Any particular reason why you bumped this? I am glad you did but was wondering if you had a reason for it. Thanks for the bump. It was a good read.:thumbsup:
Honestly, this is the page I go to when I log in since I log in from a password form I have tried to reset it and it just has never took. I thought I was in a different thread though.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
I now have over 60 yard signs in the ground for just one city alone, and soon to be 300 for 5 cities. All our clients think it is a great idea as well. I feel everyone should do this. Thank you so much it's great to be a part of such valuable resources as this. If anyone has any questions at all please email me.
Are these 60 signs for houses your painting? Or just posted on every corner in town? If they are posted randomly around town...... Not cool. Reminds me of College Pro. :censored: I wonder what our cities would look like if every contractor did that? :eek:

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Are these 60 signs for houses your painting? Or just posted on every corner in town? If they are posted randomly around town...... Not cool. Reminds me of College Pro. :censored: I wonder what our cities would look like if every contractor did that? :eek:
I can appreciate your opinion. Do you have any crazy marketing ideas? Thanks.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
I can appreciate your opinion. Do you have any crazy marketing ideas? Thanks.
Sorry to get off topic. No, I don't really have any crazy marketing techniques. Never really done much marketing. Tried a few things like fliers, yellow pages, mailers, etc. Not too many results. As small as I am, best thing thats worked for me is referals. I do try keep in touch with customers by sending thank you cards, checking to see if any problems have come up, etc. Nothing really crazy. But, I do believe we have one member here giving out hugs. :)

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Since this got bumped up, and I just started something new, this is a good place to share it.

We've all heard about the benefits of customer retention marketing. What about pre-customer retention marketing? It's easy to do with auto-responders.

I have a form on my site offering a free special report on selecting a contractor. To get it, the customer must enter their email address. My auto-responder will then email them once a quarter. Even though they may not have called me (yet) I can still market to them inexpensively and automatically.

I often start investigating a product or service long before I intend to buy. I suspect that many of my potential customers do the same. If I can start marketing to them months before they are ready to get an estimate, I have a head start on the competition.

I just launched this yesterday, so it is way too early to tell how it will work. But it isn't costing me anything, except the time it took to set up the auto-responders--about 10 minutes since I am just using materials I've had written for years.

Brian Phillips

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Since this got bumped up, and I just started something new, this is a good place to share it.

We've all heard about the benefits of customer retention marketing. What about pre-customer retention marketing? It's easy to do with auto-responders.

I have a form on my site offering a free special report on selecting a contractor. To get it, the customer must enter their email address. My auto-responder will then email them once a quarter. Even though they may not have called me (yet) I can still market to them inexpensively and automatically.

I often start investigating a product or service long before I intend to buy. I suspect that many of my potential customers do the same. If I can start marketing to them months before they are ready to get an estimate, I have a head start on the competition.

I just launched this yesterday, so it is way too early to tell how it will work. But it isn't costing me anything, except the time it took to set up the auto-responders--about 10 minutes since I am just using materials I've had written for years.

Brian Phillips
Thta's cool. I am thinking about launching something a lil different. For example, have them complete a survey (this would enter them into a raffle). Then in order for them to see the results of the survey they'd need to provide email, dob, etc... info (opt in).

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thta's cool. I am thinking about launching something a lil different. For example, have them complete a survey (this would enter them into a raffle). Then in order for them to see the results of the survey they'd need to provide email, dob, etc... info (opt in).
Anything that will capture their email address will work. Internet marketers say that each email addressed captured is worth $1 a month. I suspect that that number would be higher for our industry.

Brian Phillips

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Can you go into more detail about the above bold? Not sure I understand what you mean. Thanks.
The idea is that if you have someone's email address you can market to him. Over time, on average, each email address that you can market to will translate to $1 per month in sales. It's a numbers game, just like all marketing.

When we place a traditional ad, a lot of people who aren't in the market for our service will see it. But if you get someone's email via an opt-in, they are likely interested in (or will be) what you are selling. The idea is to then keep marketing to them until they buy. It is a very targeted approach to marketing.

Internet marketers (IM) obviously have a much larger potential customer base than we do, but the same principle applies. IM usually offer something for free to get your email address. They then market to you, even though you have never bought anything from them. I think the same idea can be applied to our services.

As an example, let's say a new subdivision is built in your area. Somehow you get the email address of everyone in the subdivision and you send them an email each month with tips on painting. Who do you think they will call when they want to hire a professional?

Brian Phillips

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
It's a numbers game, just like all marketing.

When we place a traditional ad, a lot of people who aren't in the market for our service will see it. But if you get someone's email via an opt-in, they are likely interested in (or will be) what you are selling. The idea is to then keep marketing to them until they buy. It is a very targeted approach to marketing.

Internet marketers (IM) obviously have a much larger potential customer base than we do, but the same principle applies. IM usually offer something for free to get your email address. They then market to you, even though you have never bought anything from them. I think the same idea can be applied to our services.

As an example, let's say a new subdivision is built in your area. Somehow you get the email address of everyone in the subdivision and you send them an email each month with tips on painting. Who do you think they will call when they want to hire a professional?

Brian Phillips
The idea is that if you have someone's email address you can market to him. Over time, on average, each email address that you can market to will translate to $1 per month in sales.

Very interesting. I wonder where the hell they come up with these stats. If I am reading it correctly: if I've got 5000 email addresses (from opt ins) we would - in theory - generate 5k in sales / month. Hmmm... Actually, I think that number is a lil conservative. Thanks for the education. Never thought of looking at it that way. Again, thanks for the insight.

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The idea is that if you have someone's email address you can market to him. Over time, on average, each email address that you can market to will translate to $1 per month in sales.

Very interesting. I wonder where the hell they come up with these stats. If I am reading it correctly: if I've got 5000 email addresses (from opt ins) we would - in theory - generate 5k in sales / month. Hmmm... Actually, I think that number is a lil conservative. Thanks for the education. Never thought of looking at it that way. Again, thanks for the insight.
I assume that the numbers come from experience. My own limited experience is similar.

I think that the numbers would be much higher for us. We would have a much more targeted market and our average sale is much higher than the internet marketers. That is why I am intrigued by this idea.

Brian Phillips

·
Super Moderator
9,527 Posts
I have heard about doing stuff like that, but I know when I am the recipient of those DRIP campaigns, I hate it. It is just more junk e-mail. Sometimes, I am closely enough involved with the person sending it that I do not unsubscribe but I hate receiving the marketing. I cannot just block the messages, since I get others that I need to read (i.e. fellow members of networking groups).

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Don't let arch see this...:)

I cannot just block the messages, since I get others that I need to read (i.e. fellow members of networking groups).
Every professionally managed drip campaign (ie constant contact, etc) will have an "unsubscribe" at the bottom of each email so that you can remove yourself from the campaign while not blocking the sender's email address entirely if you get other stuff from them.

The way I see it - it's annoying until it's something you need. And presumably, since these people would have opted in to get the emails, your service is something they need or are seeking. I'm ok with that and these types of campaigns work for me (but I only use them for past customers at this time).

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.