Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where we can share the use and applications of different photo editors.

The first style that comes to mind is Cricket's amazing painted pictures. Long have I wanted to be able to take a photo and express it like a painting. I've given up attempting to paint many years ago, but I loved the way I could add and subtract to a basic scene to create the feeling I wanted.

Cricket's bridge did exactly what I've been wanting to do for decades.

But I looked at Topaz, and apparently it's a collection of plug-ins that would put a serious dent in my budget if I bought them all ($940). I am happy to see that Nik has combined their suite to a reasonably priced package ($150).

So, perhaps this thread will help us learn how to best use what we have and to make educated decisions on what software will best suit us.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Bill, for me, Lightroom is the starting stage. Most of what I do to an image can be done there. For example, here is how I will process an image in LR.

1. Apply lens profile to remove distortion (barrel or pincushion).
2. Crop. Not a huge fan of cropping but being a so-so skilled photographer, I don't always land that perfect composition.
3. White balance. I start with auto then fine tune for warmer/cooler and green/magenta.
4. Evaluate the exposure both visually and with the histogram. This is a little harder to sum up in a sentence. Each image will have different lighting. I love film because of its dynamic range (measure exposure stops between the lightest and darkest parts of the image). I try to duplicate that by using the Highlights/Shadows/Whites/Blacks sliders then adjusting the overall exposure with the exposure slider until the histogram looks right.
5. The rest is fine tuning and creativity. For an old film effect, I may experiment with split toning. For anything that is serious that requires layer masking or facial editing, I then export to Photoshop.

Bill, the Nik plugins are nothing short of incredible. They also work in Lightroom.

The sky is the limit for artistic creation. It just has to be done right. This is an obviously heavily modified image with some compositing but the mood it sets is awesome. (not my image.. from The Forest Wytch FB page)

Attachments

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken,

My stumbling block with LR is importing files right from the get go.

I may be wrong, but it looks to me that I need to change my whole way of organizing my photo file system. Granted, I am terribly biased against all things Adobe to begin with because they and I do not think alike. I equate Adobe to a certain operating system that is not customizable.

I like to be able to open up MY folder with certain pix in it and them open a photo file with the editor and start my work. So I haven't been even able to test drive LR.

One of these days I'll have to coerce my cousin Margo to hand hold me through the whole process, because Adobe is does not have user friendly instructions or tutorials, IMO.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Bill you would open Lightroom and then click, 'import photos and video' under the File menu. You can then navigate to a single image, import a whole folder or an entire drive. Its just the opposite process of what you are used to now but more efficient for workflow.

Adobe LR is very intuitive. The progression of corrections is laid out almost exactly as you should do it via instant response sliders. Honestly if you used any PP software, you'll be laughing at how simple it is to navigate Lightroom.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Chris, are you uploading them straight from your phone? If you import them into a photo editing program, you should be able to click rotate 90 degrees CW or CCW then resave and load them here.

Reactions: chrisn

·
Registered
48 Posts
New-fangled stuff.

Who would presume?
Tell us young dogs a story. you known you want to, Will-I-Am.
Say you will, please:clap:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts