Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
T200, we used their services for 4 months to promote our window business. Val Pak has very good sales people that MIGHT mislead you on the quantity and quality of your leads. They convinced me that I would get a 1% response rate for my 50,000 ads x 4 months. It has been a little over a year now and I have only received 4 calls (+/-).......I am still waiting by my phone for the other 1996 callers to call in. About a year ago we had 15+/- ads in our valpak for windows, this month we only had 2-3, if it works so well why did everyone drop their ads?

The pizza shops, dry cleaners and small shops get a good ROI with Val Pak. Before you sign with them find their on-line site and dig up others in your industry that are using their services in other parts of the country. Call them and ask what they are getting for results. Call other home improvement ads in your area and ask them if they are happy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comments. I've heard from a painter in another state that he tried ValPak with little success. Looking at their ads, it seems to me it might work best for stores offering a coupon for discounts on pizza or something.

Tom

·
Registered
745 Posts
Part of advertising is name recognitiion.
If everyone knows your name, you WILL get a call.

If a method toward that goal is cost effective, DO IT.

There is no substitute for the "good ole boy" network.
Is that what they are trying to sell?

Better to join local businessmen's associations, IMO.
r

·
Registered
3 Posts
We've been in business over 20 years. Everyone in our area knows our name.

We tried ValPak for 8-12 months, never got one call...not one lead.

Very pushy sales people that wouldn't take "no" for an answer.

Spend your advertising money elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
As with any advertising method, different things work in different areas. A lot of it has to with who is in your community, competition, and so on.

I might be the only one but when I was in Florida valpak was my #1 leads source. I ran a a full color ad (2 color on back) once a month to about 30,000 homes and my phone rang solid for a good week and a half after the mailing.

I believe I had a unique situation though. My community was 50% retire people and they looked for coupons. Also, the valpak franchise in my area was very new and so there were only a handful of ads in the pack and many of those were national ads. I worked a deal out with the office and made sure that my ad was either first or withing the first 5 ads in the stack.
The difference in how many ads were in the envelope and where you are placed is huge.

Last, you have to give an offer (coupon) if your going to advertise there at all. That's what people are looking for.

·
Freedom Maker
119 Posts
Also, the valpak franchise in my area was very new and so there were only a handful of ads in the pack and many of those were national ads. I worked a deal out with the office and made sure that my ad was either first or withing the first 5 ads in the stack.
The difference in how many ads were in the envelope and where you are placed is huge.
i agree with the placement and number of ads nathan.

We run in Supercoups which is a new franchise in our area that is essentially val-pak, just a little cleaner looking. We are only one of 10-15 businesses that go out(less expensive than val pak too) and we get alot of calls. Every customer tells us they found us in val pak, but we haven't been in val pak for years,they just don't know the difference....

Ethan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts