Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 130 year old Victorian in San Francisco that has been painted white for the last 30+ years. The facade is south facing, so it gets full sun, foggy or not, all day and my contractor has said the wood is in excellent condition, likely due to the white deflecting a lot of the sun's heat.

Well, I was wanting to paint the facade a more bold blue- BM "Blue Danube" with accents in grays and yellow. However, the contractor said that this will stress the wood out and the darker paint job will need to be redone in 5-7 years due to the sun. Further, he said that Aura paint is "oily" in our climate and streaks, and said BM Regal or SW are better for our climate. What's more is I downloaded the consumer reports review of most durable exterior paints and BM Aura was 5th- SW Emerald was in 2nd place with a good color durability rating for 9 years :vs_mad:

Questions:
Do you recommend I stay away from the darker colors to protect the wood from too much additional heat that darker colors would draw in?
Do you recommend BM Aura Exterior OR SW Emerald Exterior for color fastness and durability?

Thanks- I'm making myself crazy here- and btw the paint job is over $30,000 which is part of why durability is so critical (cost of materials is not a concern, $26K is just labor). :vs_sob:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.