Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Just got back from my paint store. I asked them again if they'd even heard of Command, but they haven't heard a thing whatsoever. Also asked them about the reformulation of the other lines of BM, but all they'd heard was that Aura was getting modified and they had no details on what was going to happen to it.
Regal has already been modified, the new bases start with N551/N547. Command and new Aura will be around sometime next month last I heard, Aura will have a new label to easily differentiate... Aura and regal are no longer zero voc products. Natura is going away as well.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just got back from my paint store. I asked them again if they'd even heard of Command, but they haven't heard a thing whatsoever. Also asked them about the reformulation of the other lines of BM, but all they'd heard was that Aura was getting modified and they had no details on what was going to happen to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for suggestions on a product for this. I have it all primed with pigmented shellac. It's at my shop and I have both airless sprayers and conventional hvlp setup. Preferably something waterborne. My ventilation is not the best.. Oh and I'm in Canada.;)
We would use lacquer here in Oregon but I will often use Canadian cloverdale renaissance when odor is an issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How do you all get rid of the impressions left from the old handles? Such as in the middle picture. On my recent project I used 90 minute drywall mud and sanded smooth. Looks great. But I'm concerned that it won't be hard enough. Know what I mean? Before I primed it, it would scratch easy. Maybe after primer and 2 (or 3 ) coats of Advance it will be hard enough. It's good enough for walls so i figured why not for doors.
I definitely wouldn't use joint compound. It is soft like you state. We use Bondo or ready patch. Both may require two coats though.

·
Super Moderator
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just heard about this stuff and am dying to try it too. Haven't been to the store yet to ask. Can't wait to hear feedback.
Just sprayed this dresser with it plus a couple sample doors.. Will give my results / feedback soon...

·
Super Moderator
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok. Dresser is finished. Sprayed with the high-gloss Command. I have mixed feelings. I will give a few opinions, but will give a bigger review on the other "Command" Thread when all my results/thoughts are in. I sprayed this with a combination of Hvlp 1.4 tip and airless 310fflp. There was a lot of details on this unit and I felt an airless was too aggressive for the whole thing.
On the plus side, it sprayed really well from the hvlp with minimal thinning. It was almost to runny for the airless. I had to move really fast. My tips may have been worn though also. My biggest beef is that it wanted to fisheye on me really bad from the hvlp. Mostly OK after a few coats, but still annoying. I think waterborne urethanes are just fussy in general? It seemed to fisheye more over the BIN shellac, so maybe an incompatibility issue? Not so much over the Stix. Did a final coat on the top with my airless so it could flow out. Over all it looks good, but if you zoom in, you can see a few fisheyes on the top even after 4 coats..
The finish feels pretty darn tough but not bullet proof..yet anyway. Not like a true polyurethane. Maybe after 30 days. Plus side, you can do multiple coats in a day with the 1 hr. recoat time and very quick blocking, so can probably wrap with plastic the next day for transport.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Ok. Dresser is finished. Sprayed with the high-gloss Command. I have mixed feelings. I will give a few opinions, but will give a bigger review on the other "Command" Thread when all my results/thoughts are in. I sprayed this with a combination of Hvlp 1.4 tip and airless 310fflp. There was a lot of details on this unit and I felt an airless was too aggressive for the whole thing.
On the plus side, it sprayed really well from the hvlp with minimal thinning. It was almost to runny for the airless. I had to move really fast. My tips may have been worn though also. My biggest beef is that it wanted to fisheye on me really bad from the hvlp. Mostly OK after a few coats, but still annoying. I think waterborne urethanes are just fussy in general? It seemed to fisheye more over the BIN shellac, so maybe an incompatibility issue? Not so much over the Stix. Did a final coat on the top with my airless so it could flow out. Over all it looks good, but if you zoom in, you can see a few fisheyes on the top even after 4 coats..
The finish feels pretty darn tough but not bullet proof..yet anyway. Not like a true polyurethane. Maybe after 30 days. Plus side, you can do multiple coats in a day with the 1 hr. recoat time and very quick blocking, so can probably wrap with plastic the next day for transport.

·
Super Moderator
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The datasheet is pretty non descriptive but I don't think this product is real compatible with shellac primers..
Ya, it's very possible. Pretty impressive resume all the same. I look forward to testing it out on other stuff like front doors etc.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts