Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vinyl On Gypsum (VOG) walls are common in older modular homes. I recently painted a double wide with this type of wall. I sanded the walls, wiped them down, primed with a latex primer/sealer, then painted the walls with latex paint. As I painted, in some areas, the paint wouldn't stick and in other places it ran down the wall. I allowed the paint to dry overnight and finished the job the next day easily. I'm thinking I should have used acrylic primer. Am I correct? Have any of you painted VOG walls? What was your experience? I am a new paint contractor and already feel defeated.

· Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,410 Posts
Vinyl On Gypsum (VOG) walls are common in older modular homes. I recently painted a double wide with this type of wall. I sanded the walls, wiped them down, primed with a latex primer/sealer, then painted the walls with latex paint. As I painted, in some areas, the paint wouldn't stick and in other places it ran down the wall. I allowed the paint to dry overnight and finished the job the next day easily. I'm thinking I should have used acrylic primer. Am I correct? Have any of you painted VOG walls? What was your experience? I am a new paint contractor and already feel defeated.
You should be using a bonding primer, like Stix or Uma. Not a drywall sealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts