Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Beach painter
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to hear from someone who has done one of these, it will be a re model I have worked on several back in the 90s but not as a contractor for myself. I'm thinking of bidding one and would like some feedback on doing one before I jump in the lake and try to swim if you know what I mean. Any good advice from someone who has done one would be appreciated much.

·
Born 2 Paint
5,021 Posts
If you have done a few, you know the drill. I have done several myself, (new and remodels) but it was also working for someone else as you. All I know is they are doing them very cheap. The remodels are gravy other than the night work part. A lot depends on the GC. How well do you know the GC? Is it local or out of town?

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Urghhhh, there is 35 residential painters and 45 commercial painters on the bid list. What's the lowest common denominator
The painter that was awarded the contract.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
In my limited experience its not what I would want to be doing. In fact you would be better off working for another PC. I don't even bother to look at them anymore, and don't even open the email if it has Wal-Mart in the header.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Did one two years ago, paperwork is a nightmare, change orders and draws are a battle, lift/light rentals can kill you if working nights for months doesn't. If you are strictly commercial, or have enough crew that you can still take of care of your residential work, it is doable, but not fun, or very profitable.

·
Estimator/Instructor
1,004 Posts
Urghhhh, there is 35 residential painters and 45 commercial painters on the bid list. What's the lowest common denominator

The painter that was awarded the contract.
Show me that list please, I'd like to use it for my class.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wal marts

I have bid several and they are a waste of time. The guy who got them bid the whole job for what my deck and joist price was. Go Figure.
Good Luck If you dare to bid....

·
Beach painter
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you have been there done that, like I said I have worked on several back in the early 90s for a painting contractor I worked for we did the dist centers and stores, sams included. But I have never done one on my own. And as far as competition go's that is about normal it seems these days at least here in the Carolina's. You sound a little like I feel I guess you saw the "going south of the border" I posted last night, sorry guy's I was venting. I have had a bit of a rough month I bid a Military job that was going to take 11 weekends 18,000 area ft re paint 1 prime 2 finish coats full of furniture paint peeling from latex over oil, drywall repairs half block, 60 corner guards to replace 50 metal door frames I bid between 20 and 25,000 these cats coming in at under 16,000 bonding, w/c , insurance. Now i'm running myself 2 painters and a helper so I know all about the many others low balling. But thanks for the advice I think I will pass on Wally world.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
No worries, it's all good

I went to a mandatory job walk on repainting a 36,000 sqft TI. There were 30 painters that showed up. I walked out. What's the point, to gain more experience? I don't need the practice.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I have bid several and they are a waste of time. The guy who got them bid the whole job for what my deck and joist price was. Go Figure.
Good Luck If you dare to bid....
We got "lucky", the low bidders were not able to pass the ID requirements for their employees, all our guys had to be verified and wear badges.

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
We got "lucky", the low bidders were not able to pass the ID requirements for their employees, all our guys had to be verified and wear badges.

Same here. Just finished one up another addition for Sams 6 weeks ago, waiting 90+ days for payout is no fun. Paperwork was a nightmare. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just did one for another PC .figured it would be nice cool work durin the summer months..... Wasn't worth the headaches ... I was foreman and it was a major PIA, but I'm not really hyped on major commercial.... Small commercial and custom residential are more my speed

·
Registered
297 Posts
Solid crew of 5-7 guys can whip these out and be profitable.

The trick is finding those 5-7 guys.

I should also add... sometimes they are a 5 week quick remodel which is where you can make some money because there is hardly any major construction or change to the floorplan.. everything is ready to go. But most times they are the 10-12 monster remodels. The 10-12 week ones is where it gets hectic because that means they will be moving all the shelving around and demoing a lot of areas. Its rough working around those guys sometimes.

Find the guys. Perform well. Be invited to do the next Wal-Mart by the GC. Raise your price a little every time. They won't want the headache of anyone else.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was called to see if I wanted to bid on a five week remodel of a local Walmart. I turned them down. Didn't have the time or # of employees it would have taken to do the job. Glad I did when I would go there at night and see how they had to work around everything with it being open 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yeah, good luck. I went through 8 last summer, and not a single one will ever work for me again. :no: Guaranteed ;) The work force isnt what it once was. I never seen so many worthless retards in my life. :censored:
I thanked you for this and as much as I would like to make it my sig I can't bring myself to it. Hiring process and advancement opp may help us.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts