Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
john, i can see how you misinterpreted my post. let me make it clearer for you.

Vermont and NEPS exposed those posters who lacked the humility to shut the hell up and listen to good advice.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
john, i can see how you misinterpreted my post. let me make it clearer for you.

Vermont and NEPS exposed those posters who lacked the humility to shut the hell up and listen to good advice.
Ok:Sorry that was kind of a twist, I'm not used to thinking like that.I see what you mean now, but I also think that beating up a drunk will not help him get sober.

·
17,818 Posts
The difference between confidence in ones abilities, and arrogance is defined by humility.

One of the qualities of a true professional painter is humility. It is a trait that develops over time, forged by the lack of respect from many in the construction industry.

Painters who decide to operate their own business often benefit from this hard earned quality. Unfortunately, too many painters can’t handle the stigma associated with our trade. They simply decide to call themselves painting contractors as a means to gain a respect they thought unobtainable otherwise. Many of these guys are mistaken as hacks, when maybe their just underdeveloped painters. It is often their lack of humility that frustrates many.

The secret is, once you've suffered humility, you can truly become confident.

Having members like Vermont and NEPS to expose those deficiencies, will be sorely missed by this member
I agree, Neps can be abrasive but can also be very helpful to people as well. I liked how he did not pull any punches and knew the trade. VP has had too many good posts to count and was also a helpful member. I hope that they return and continue to contribute.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
One of the qualities of a true professional painter is humility. It is a trait that develops over time, forged by the lack of respect from many in the construction industry.
I am confused by this statement.

To me, humility comes from SELF respect and confidence and not "forged by the lack of respect from many in the construction industry."

Heck, I've seen where that continued lack of respect has turned a little man it a petty human being who needs to brag about their abilities and put down others so they appear to be the top dog. That continued lack of respect will actually cause arrogance as a defence mechanism (Arrogance = an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions)

Humility is being humble = 1: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
2: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission <a humble apology>

Now, one may BE humbled by a total screw up or by others who reject the arrogance, but usually that just heightens the denial and creates a more impenetrable defence mechanism in a person who CAN NOT admit being wrong, who can not appear to BE wrong.

The human psyche is strange like that - but this is common.

Humility comes from within. It comes from a sense of self worth, of confidence. Humility also has the ability of self introspection, and the ability to admit a fault and self-correct. Self confidence and humility combined does not need to be right all the time, it allows one to grow.

Pride, insecurity, and arrogance, IMO, are forged by that continued lack of respect from others . They are defence mechanisms.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The difference between confidence in ones abilities, and arrogance is defined by humility.
I think I would agree with that statement.

One important thing to always be aware of however is that confidence is often misunderstood as arrogance.

So is passion, drive, initiative, and vision.

I believe it's the person that makes the painter, not the painter that makes the person.

Having members like Vermont and NEPS to expose those deficiencies, will be sorely missed by this member
I never appreciated them for their ability to expose deficiencies, as much as the fact that their experience and knowledge was very valuable.

Any forum pertaining to the painting trade would benefit greatly from their contributions.

My guess is that they are completely fed up with this site from a professionalism standpoint, but it is possible they will miss the social aspect of the site a great deal.

I wish them luck what ever their future holds.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Does anyone remember some of the writings of the old Twilite Zone tv show? It was loaded with things like what we are talking about. People not being able to put up with others, or not being able to see anothers point of view. I really think that some people these days feel that humility is something they can put on like a pair of pants or something. You can't beat someone up and then say your sorry, and it is all better. Humility is part of you, if you have it.
So yes, I can love the sinner, and hate the sin, or whatever, but it does get old seeing unsuspecting people get slamed in the sake of protecting the trade. Give me a break.
Life is about more than that. If you can tell me I'm missing something, feel free, all it will be is smoke screens.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I dont say much but i do listen once in awhile and all i can say lately is WTF. WTF IS WRONG WITH A LOT OF YOUZ HERE LATELY.i may be right i may be wrong who really gives a ratz azz.move on my brothers/sisters life is too short for this BS...................................................................................................

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
honestly it is because work is getting tighter and I think everyone is feeling it, whether they want to admit it or not. And people who have never attempted to be a painter before have gone out and bought $50.00 worth of supplies and are now calling themselves painters. We lose work because of these guys and then they get on the board and try to get the answers to how to get the job done. Nothing like educating the one who is taking your job. I did that once back in the day while working for $print. Not again.

But back to what you were saying.. that is the reason why the mutiny has fallen on upon the board as of late.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, in business we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:

1. Buying a stronger whip.
2. Changing riders.
3. Say things like, "This is the way we have always ridden this horse."
4. Appointing a committee to study the horse.
5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
6. Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.
7. Appointing a tiger team to revive the dead horse.
8. Creating a training session to increase our riding ability.
9. Comparing the state of dead horses in todays environment.
10. Change the requirements declaring that "This horse is not dead."
11. Hire contractors to ride the dead horse.
12. Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.
13. Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."
14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.
15. Do a Cost Analysis study to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.
16. Purchase a product to make dead horses run faster.
17. Declare the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead.
18. Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.
19. Revisit the performance requirements for horses.
20. Say this horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.
21. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.

(Author Unknown)

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
I am confused by this statement.

To me, humility comes from SELF respect and confidence and not "forged by the lack of respect from many in the construction industry."

Heck, I've seen where that continued lack of respect has turned a little man it a petty human being who needs to brag about their abilities and put down others so they appear to be the top dog. That continued lack of respect will actually cause arrogance as a defence mechanism (Arrogance = an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions)

Humility is being humble = 1: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
2: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission <a humble apology>

Now, one may BE humbled by a total screw up or by others who reject the arrogance, but usually that just heightens the denial and creates a more impenetrable defence mechanism in a person who CAN NOT admit being wrong, who can not appear to BE wrong.

The human psyche is strange like that - but this is common.

Humility comes from within. It comes from a sense of self worth, of confidence. Humility also has the ability of self introspection, and the ability to admit a fault and self-correct. Self confidence and humility combined does not need to be right all the time, it allows one to grow.

Pride, insecurity, and arrogance, IMO, are forged by that continued lack of respect from others . They are defence mechanisms.
Arch, I value your opinion, so I'll try and clarify my statement you quoted.

It is perseverance, despite being stereotyped by many in the construction industry, including homeowners, that humbles a true painter. How could you continue in this trade successfully without humility?

Sure, many can become defensive and bitter when faced with adversity, but those who have patience will persevere without hostility.

It is patience {time), and perseverance {commitment}, that help to forge {develop} humility {wisdom }, despite a lack of respect towards our trade {adversity}.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts