Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,988 Posts
Can you do it all one piece? From ceiling to floor?
I wouldn't, because corners are never straight. Just make your cut in the corner where the wall meets bulkhead, then match up the pattern.. Will waste a lot of paper though potentially.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Normally, I would do the upper stuff first, but with this pattern, I would line up the pattern on the big walls first. and do the top (we call it a soffit) to match it.

And for those asking if you can do it it one piece, thats a negative. I doubt you can even do the ten inch top piece connected to the soffit it in one. It would waste a ton of material, but you 'd want a the upper ten inches overlapped a bit, then another peice that matches on the soffit, then another for the wall going down. Also, the bottom part of the wall will not match at the soffit anyway.

·
High Roller Painters
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there thanks for your reply.
Did you say that the pattern won't match even if you did the three sections separately? So, Bottom wall first, then the underside of the soffit and then the top? The best place to lose the pattern would be under the soffit on the outside edge right?

Normally, I would do the upper stuff first, but with this pattern, I would line up the pattern on the big walls first. and do the top (we call it a soffit) to match it.

And for those asking if you can do it it one piece, thats a negative. I doubt you can even do the ten inch top piece connected to the soffit it in one. It would waste a ton of material, but you 'd want a the upper ten inches overlapped a bit, then another peice that matches on the soffit, then another for the wall going down. Also, the bottom part of the wall will not match at the soffit anyway.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Did you say that the pattern won't match even if you did the three sections separately? So, Bottom wall first, then the underside of the soffit and then the top? The best place to lose the pattern would be under the soffit on the outside edge right?
I'm looking at the 2nd photo. You want the pattern to continue across the soffit at the ceiling line. If you hang the long wall (on the left) first, take it to the corner of the back wall. Then match the soffit in the corner to continue the pattern across the soffit. I would wrap the soffit to the back wall. Then match the back wall to the corner of the left wall to continue the pattern across the back wall. This will mean that the pattern won't match at the top of the back wall where it meets the soffit. You could do as you said and match it there back to the outside corner of the soffit, but this would leave an exposed edge that would be likely to come loose at some point, as well as being mis-matched at that corner.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The inside corner where the soffit (ceiling) meets the lower wall will not match. Most would cut off the pattern on the inside corner, but I guess you COULD do it on the outside corner. Just dont start with that wall. Do the full wall next to it, so you can use that corner to reference where the pattern of the lower wall will match.

·
High Roller Painters
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Note: Im not crazy about this guys technique, but it may help you out.
Thanks for your reply, What I am going to do is to paint the "ceiling" of the soffit.
So, just the face of the soffit will be papered.
Do you have any tips for trimming the edge where the face meets the ceiling? Other than using a sharp new blade?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Thanks for your reply, What I am going to do is to paint the "ceiling" of the soffit.
Do you have any tips for trimming the edge where the face meets the ceiling? Other than using a sharp new blade?
Thanks.
cutting outside corners is tricky... It takes a lot of practice.... In situations like that, Ive even brought it a big square, and cut the bottom exactly where its supposed to be as to not deal with it. Its a lot harder with a pattern obviously... Other than that, I just extend my blade out really far, angle it out, and try not to dig into the corner too much. you'll get good at piecing in little tiny spots where you mess up... Youve got a gray paper, so you should be able to use a pencil to disguise minor bad cuts...

Dont be afraid to take a couple scraps and practice.

·
Super Moderator
3,988 Posts
Good a
Thanks.
Good plan on painting bottom side of bulkhead..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
cutting outside corners is tricky... It takes a lot of practice.... In situations like that, Ive even brought it a big square, and cut the bottom exactly where its supposed to be as to not deal with it. Its a lot harder with a pattern obviously... Other than that, I just extend my blade out really far, angle it out, and try not to dig into the corner too much. you'll get good at piecing in little tiny spots where you mess up... Youve got a gray paper, so you should be able to use a pencil to disguise minor bad cuts...

Dont be afraid to take a couple scraps and practice.
When cutting open corners I find it best to make sure you are holding your knife above eye level a bit for the best perspective, while keeping the paper that you have just cut taut. Don't over extend, pull the blade don't push.

·
Super Moderator
3,988 Posts
When cutting open corners I find it best to make sure you are holding your knife above eye level a bit for the best perspective, while keeping the paper that you have just cut taut. Don't over extend, pull the blade don't push.
Just put one of those self stick plastic corner beads on after. :whistle: 😅

·
High Roller Painters
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think what I might do is this...
Paste the small sheet.
Let it tack off for a bit.
Scribe the line on the back of the sheet along the line of the corner.
Take the sheet off and put it on the table.
trim the line carefully
Re hang the sheet.
Give myself a medal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts