Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

washing roller knaps

21K views 74 replies 42 participants last post by  flowjo 
#1 ·
who among us washes roller covers to reuse them, and to what extent do you do it?

#4 ·
I do. I feel many covers don't get good until they've been used a couple if times. The first time or two I try to use them on a surface that isn't too particular, and that might get the fuzzies off. Then it's ready for good stuff.
Jack, the water is pretty clean in that bucket, so you clean them out and then throw them in there. No need to answer, the pic tell it.
I do that when i will continue with same color overnight.
BTW, rollers clean out much easier if you float them for a few hours first.

#20 ·
I usually use mine till I'm done with that color. Then wrap it nice and save until the end of job. Then in the trash they go. Sometimes I'll clean them out for re-use but it's rare.

#26 ·
I always wash mine out and give a final washing with diluted Spray Nine- it helps break down the film that can be left on them. The next they are nice and soft, no stiffness at all. I do the same with brushes as well. Plunging the rollers in a 5 gall. bucket and spinning over and over speeds up the cleaning process considerably.

Once rollers get too skimpy, I save them for rolling oil-based primer, then toss them. I'll also wrap them up overnight if I know I'll get into it the next day. I used to soak them a lot, then I realized the fibers were separating a bit along the seams, if that makes sense.

-jt

#28 ·
I always wash and re-use since i only use a 3/4" lambswool for everything.
I wrap them up if i will be using the same paint.
oil-based i buy a cover specifically for the job, knowing i'm going to throw it away.

#33 ·
I am using disposable roller covers more

I am using disposable roller covers more and more. Water is getting more and more scarce where I am at. I bet a farmer could grow enough alfalfa for a hay bale with the amount of water wasted on cleaning. I am going to guess and say i roller cover takes 5-10 min.(=$5.-10.) + 5-10 gallons of water.

#40 ·
You guys are washing to hard if it takes you over a 5 to clean a skin. Look into a roller cleaner The one I have used forever is a tube with a top and bottom. I stop using the bottom but leave it on the frame. Slide roller in tube turn water on run up and down a few time. Spin it with the hose and it is done. I do the same with 18" .

#43 ·
You guys are washing to hard if it takes you over a 5 to clean a skin. Look into a roller cleaner The one I have used forever is a tube with a top and bottom. I stop using the bottom but leave it on the frame. Slide roller in tube turn water on run up and down a few time. Spin it with the hose and it is done. I do the same with 18" .

http://www.paintrollercleaner.com/

Is this what you use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.