Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
The approved method of disposal here in California is to dump it in a ditch or holding area on your own property, allow it to dry, then dispose of it as regular solid waste at any landfill.
Are you serious? That is really surprising to hear about old holier than thou environmental crusading California. I would not be seen dumping paint in a ditch in any state, regardless of approved methods. How would that be better than letting it harden in the pail? :eek:

·
Painting Contractor
58 Posts
Here in California, if I dumped my old paints in a ditch and got cautght by the city, county or EPA they would have my hide and my pocketbook. You can pour paints on cardboard or other surfaces, allow to evaporate, dry and then to the dump and that's OK. Not in the ground:no:

Interestingly, years back I attended a lead abatement seminar and there the speaker gave the illustration of a guy who had some old doors and frames on which lead based paint had been applied. He said the rule is that to strip this lead paint off it required masking and stripping according to hazardous material regulations and once stripped disposed at a hazardous material waste site. But the same unstripped doors and trims could be taken to a city dumpand tossed. Ironic isn't it - where does the lead go at the dump site? Into our drinking water.:rolleyes:

·
ContractorTalk Crossover
66 Posts
I get rid of a lot of my extra paint using www.freecycle.org. Go to their site, type in your city and state and it will give you the nearest chapters to your area.

I got rid of about 45 gallons of various colors and types last fall. )I also get rid of a lot of other construction material here too.) There is always someone that can use it, or is not well off and can't afford to buy it, but will gladly come and pick it up. When I placed the ad, I advised them that it is all or nothing, they have to take all the paint, not pick through it for the ones the want.

I got several emails for the paint I had, the first was a young couple just bought their first house and couldn't afford to paint it, and were very happy and appreciative to get the paint, and I was glad to get rid of it for free instead of paying to have it properly disposed of, or going through the hastle of trying to sell it on eBay.

I took 4 ceiling fans out of a restaurant the I do work for, they were a couple years old, still worked fine, but not worth a lot, yet till too good to throw in a landfill. Put an ad in freecycle, and a single mother was very happy to get them for her and her kids rooms, as they don't have air conditioning and very little extra money to work with.

I kow there are some that go around getting the free stuff and turning around and selling it on eBay, but oh well... You'll always find them somewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get rid of a lot of my extra paint using www.freecycle.org. Go to their site, type in your city and state and it will give you the nearest chapters to your area. I got rid of about 45 gallons of various colors and types last fall. )I also get rid of a lot of other construction material here too.) There is always someone that can use it, or is not well off and can't afford to buy it, but will gladly come and pick it up. When I placed the ad, I advised them that it is all or nothing, they have to take all the paint, not pick through it for the ones the want. I got several emails for the paint I had, the first was a young couple just bought their first house and couldn't afford to paint it, and were very happy and appreciative to get the paint, and I was glad to get rid of it for free instead of paying to have it properly disposed of, or going through the hastle of trying to sell it on eBay. I took 4 ceiling fans out of a restaurant the I do work for, they were a couple years old, still worked fine, but not worth a lot, yet till too good to throw in a landfill. Put an ad in freecycle, and a single mother was very happy to get them for her and her kids rooms, as they don't have air conditioning and very little extra money to work with. I kow there are some that go around getting the free stuff and turning around and selling it on eBay, but oh well... You'll always find them somewhere.
That's a great idea Mike! If its old paint that is no good or has any value, i get cheap store brand bags of kitty litter (ShopRite for me) and a cup will harden a gallon can. I usually dump a few gallons in a 5 gallon pail and dump in a few cups of litter and it's hard the next day

21 - 26 of 26 Posts